Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Schmo
Reel Rookie

Re: Feature Request: Profanity Filter

Thanks for the suggestion! But do I understand that the Enjoy app won't work on ROKU boxes like the Roku 3, or Express+ ?

Looks like it's designed for smart TVs, computers, and smart phones, and not streaming boxes attached to TVs. Is that right? 

0 Kudos
msharris

Re: Profanity Filter

These people aren't asking anything to be censored, or asking for anything that would affect what you see. They are merely asking for a way to filter what goes into their own eyes and ears. Why are you bothered by their request. That is as silly as getting upset with someone in a restaurant who asks not to be seated under a fan because they don't want to be chilly or not near a window because of the glare from outside. It's ok for you to want to not be restricted in what you can watch, and it's ok that they want to not be restricted in what THEY watch.

andyross
Roku Guru

Re: Profanity Filter (silly filter now requires subject be more than 25 chars....)

As has probably been noted before: A "generic" filter would be nearly useless. Closed captioning is not only not always accurate in words, but also not accurate in time. It's even possible the Roku software may not allow a channel to mute audio on it's own.

0 Kudos
CBF

So would we! Vidangel would be greatly appreciated. 

dherzog51
Reel Rookie

Re: Profanity Filter for watching tv

A follow up. I contacted VidAngel and they actually gave me a $30.00 credit to purchase FireTV. After installing FireTV and VidAngel, I now am able to watch movies I never would have watched. Thank you VidAngel, working great!!!

thebucks

I agree, there needs to be a filter/censor for profanity and nudity

Jc777
Reel Rookie

Roku needs to step up and do their job and provide us with filters for every channel they offer. Or just offer every channel in a filter version. That would be great. And I'm wondering why they couldn't do that. They could run clean commercials on these channels to pay for this. 

andyross
Roku Guru

As noted before, there could be major copyright and legal issues involving trying to apply filters after-the-fact. Plus, it would probably require relying on closed captioning, which is not reliable.

0 Kudos
BASS
Reel Rookie

How do they do it when they broadcast made for tv movies and shows over the air which have been edited for tv so that they don’t violate FCC laws? Why couldn’t Roku do the same thing for their customers that want shows that uphold the FCC laws?

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

Even for Roku Channel shows, most are simply licensed from networks and distributors. They only have real control over their original programming, which is not all that much right now. And they have absolutely no control over other networks. If you have complaints, send them to the various network to have them offer 'broadcast friendly' audio tracks...

0 Kudos