Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mmlphoto
Reel Rookie

overheating of Roku devices.

Jump to solution

My family has 3 different Roku devices and we've had others that we replaced (thinking newer models would have eliminated this problem). Tried the cable extension, which doesn't help. Even when the TV isn't on, the device is hot to the touch. You'd think after this long of having an overheating problem, that Roku would have come up with a product that solves the issue. To be clear, NONE of our devices are in a confined area, where they are exposed to direct sunlight or being used more than a couple hours per day. One of our tv's is in a walk-in basement, which is cool all summer long. The house is air conditioned and never hot. The only solution I've come up with, is to put a small fan pointing at the device. Shameful that Roku can't fix this and I keep checking and the newer Roku devices are STILL having this issue! Embarrassing. Not sure who's in charge at Roku, but you should be fired!! 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: overheating of Roku devices.

Jump to solution

Hello, @mmlphoto! Thanks for reaching out to the Roku Community.

Our apologies for hearing about your Roku device overheating. We understand your concern, and we'd love to help you out. First, kindly let us know how you powered your Roku device. Did you connect it directly to a power outlet or the TV?

Here are a few troubleshooting steps you can try to deal with overheating:

1. Verify that you are using the USB cable that came with your Roku streaming player
    • If you use any USB cable other than the one with your streaming player, replace it with your player.
  2. Try a different USB Port.
    • Some USB ports have different power characteristics. Connecting your streaming player to a different USB port on your TV may resolve the issue.
  3. Connect power to a power outlet.
    • Using the included USB cable and USB power adaptor (if included), connect your streaming player to a working power outlet in the wall.
    • Connecting to a wall power outlet has the additional advantage that your Roku streaming player will not need to power up every time you turn on your TV. This means your player will be up and running faster than it would be connected to a TV.

NoteIf your Roku Streaming Stick is overheating, you can install a free HDMI extender to help move it away from the back of your TV.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello, @mmlphoto! Thanks for reaching out to the Roku Community.

Our apologies for hearing about your Roku device overheating. We understand your concern, and we'd love to help you out. First, kindly let us know how you powered your Roku device. Did you connect it directly to a power outlet or the TV?

Here are a few troubleshooting steps you can try to deal with overheating:

1. Verify that you are using the USB cable that came with your Roku streaming player
    • If you use any USB cable other than the one with your streaming player, replace it with your player.
  2. Try a different USB Port.
    • Some USB ports have different power characteristics. Connecting your streaming player to a different USB port on your TV may resolve the issue.
  3. Connect power to a power outlet.
    • Using the included USB cable and USB power adaptor (if included), connect your streaming player to a working power outlet in the wall.
    • Connecting to a wall power outlet has the additional advantage that your Roku streaming player will not need to power up every time you turn on your TV. This means your player will be up and running faster than it would be connected to a TV.

NoteIf your Roku Streaming Stick is overheating, you can install a free HDMI extender to help move it away from the back of your TV.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
mmlphoto
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I don't have any other USB cables, so yes, I'm using the one that came with the device. 

As I mentioned, I already have your extender and it doesn't make a difference. 

I get it, you want to make excuses and tell your customers that they need to try all your gimmicks, but the real issue is that your product has a flaw and you're not fixing the problem. Maybe get with your designers to create a product that doesn't generate so much heat, especially when the tv isn't even on. I can touch the Roku device when it's not even in use and it's hot to the touch. That shouldn't be!!

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@mmlphoto-

Something to try.

If using a WiFi channel that has a bunch of interference, the Roku has to work harder than if using a channel with little interference. This is more likely to be a problem in the more heavily used 2.4 GHz wifi band, and where it can also get interference from other sources like Bluetooth devices and stray signals escaping microwave ovens than in the 5 GHz band.

The channel in use is set by your router, not by the Roku,  If you have access to your router's controls, see if changing to a different channel helps the situation.  If you are connecting in the crowded 2.4 GHz band, channels 1-11 are supported. Channels 1, 6, and 11 do not overlap each other and so give you the best chance at reducing congestion, so try each in succession, although depending on what channels your neighbors are using, other channels in the 1-11 range may work best. Also, reducing router bandwidth from 40 to 20 kHz may also reduce interference.

Note that optimum channel choice can be a moving target as neighbors bring new routers online in your vicinity, or reconfigure their routers to use different channels.  I periodically use a WiFi analyzer app on my smart phone that can show me which available WiFi channels have the least congestion and I change the channel my router uses accordingly. 

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
brill

Jump to solution

I also have an overheating problem with my 4k streaming stick. I'm using the extender so I can plug it into a power outlet - I've gotten the overheating message on the TV several times over the last month. I've unplugged the stick from the TV and the stick is still hot while plugged into the outlet. Does this mean the stick and/or extended is no longer good??

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, Community users.

Thanks for letting us know about the overheating issue you have encountered with your Roku device.

If the guides and steps provided by @RokuJharra-Q  did not resolve the issue, we'd like to request further information for us to review this matter and investigate it. Kindly provide the details below:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version. (These can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  • Error code or message prompt.
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs. (When you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID).
  • A photo or video clip referring to the issue,
  • What troubleshooting steps have you attempted so far to resolve the issue? 

With more details we receive regarding this matter, our team will work on the issue further.

We hope for your response along with the details we have requested.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.