Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Emissary35
Roku Guru

Re: hyper-saturated playback of certain files in Plex app

Jump to solution

The channel this is happening on is PLEX! It says so in the subject and also by people's responses including mine!

This is exactly what I am talking about, moderators not even paying attention to what is written and pasting pre-written responses, again!

RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Thanks for the response, @Jdbausch 

We'll request the following information to be forwarded to the appropriate Roku team for further investigation. 

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version. (These can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  • What version/build is the Plex channel? (This can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button).
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs. (When you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID).
  • A photo or video clip referring to the issue,

Once we have this information, we will be able to investigate further.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
spoole100
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Since this thread is getting traction I will let you know that the problem is not with Plex app the problem is with the Roku.  This problem happens in Plex, Jellyfin, Emby, and the built in media player on a Roku Ultra.  Using the Roku Media Player demonstrates that the problem resides in the Roku.

Roku either can't or won't fix the issue.  It has been a known issue for years at this point, and nobody seems to care at Roku.

Download link to get 2 files here:  https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aj5keVNcvYtwmQPVobUFinyd6nHZ?e=kcIAGf

Please download the bonfire.mp4 and bonfire-bt709.mkv, put them on a USB drive, insert them into a Roku Ultra 2020, and play them in the built in Roku Media Player.  Make sure the Roku is connected to a Non-HDR display.  They are the exact same video.  The MKV file will display crushed colors.

RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @spoole100

Thanks for posting. 

We appreciate you for providing this information to us. Could you please provide the information we have requested above your post? This would help us gather the information we need to address and investigate the issue.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
spoole100
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

No offense RokuTakashi but I have done this so many times that it is pointless.  I have opened probably 10 tickets on this subject and they go absolutely nowhere.  There are many different posts on this forum talking about this issue, it is obviously a problem, and there has not been work done to find a solution in over 2 years.

Unless your engineers are willing to download the files posted, put them on a USB drive, play them on Roku Ultra 2020 (any SW version including the latest), play them with the built-in Roku Media Player, and see for themselves it is pointless. There is no need to get my info because you have everything you need to replicate the issue on your own equipment. 

You can look at my support tickets 4947568 from 2021, or 6128379 from 2022, or 7232067 from 2023.

You can look at this post: https://community.roku.com/t5/Channels-viewing/Severe-color-contrast-distortion-while-Plex-streaming... that describes the exact issue with H.265 in MKV container with non-hdr flag that is played incorrectly.  Or bunch of other posts that talk about saturated colors in plex or emby or jellyfin.  

You can DM me if you need anything else.

RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @spoole100,

Thank you for keeping us posted here in the Roku Community!

We will be more than delighted to assist you further with this issue that you're experiencing. Is this happening to all contents or channels, or is it isolated? (Specify) Could you send us a photo or video of your running problem?

We'll wait for your response.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
spoole100
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@RokuJohnB and @RokuTakashi

The issue is well documented in many different posts on this forum.  Here is the issue: When Plex or Emby or Jellyfin transcodes a H.265 encoded file that it thinks the roku can't direct stream, Plex transcodes the file into an MKV container and marks that container with a BT.709 flag (which is correct).  Whenever the roku plays an H.265 encoded video stream in an MKV container with a BT.709 flag when attached to a Non-HDR display, it messes the colors up.  You can verify this by using the Roku Media Player to play the same type of file, which I have provided in the link below.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aj5keVNcvYtwmQPVobUFinyd6nHZ?e=kcIAGf

Please download the bonfire.mp4 and bonfire-bt709.mkv, put them on a USB drive, insert them into a Roku Ultra 2020, and play them in the built in Roku Media Player.  Make sure the Roku is connected to a Non-HDR display.  They are the exact same video.  The MKV file will display crushed colors.

It really is that simple.  Everything your engineers need to fix the issue is here.  I have been trying to get this fixed for well over 2 years and get nothing from Roku.  It's like your engineers can't fix it or just don't care.  If that is the case, just tell us so we can throw away our Roku Ultras and Express 4K+.  It would be easier on us.

Model: 4800x - Roku Ultra

SW Version: 12.5.0 - build 4178-C2

Also affected: 

Model: 3941X - Roku Express 4K+

SW Version: 12.5.0 - build 4178-CR

The image on the left is the x265 encoded MKV file with BT.709 colorspace flag (non-hdr).  The image on the right is what it is supposed to look like.  This is playing the 2 files linked in my previous post with the roku media player app.

Results.png

Emissary35
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@spoole100 @RokuJohnB @RokuTakashi 

It really is absolutely stunning the level of ineptitude being displayed by Roku on this topic. You clearly explained the issue in detail, gave them instructions on how to to test it and their only response is to repeat the same stupid questions asking for the same information you already provided.

Customer service at Roku is an absolute joke! It's completely obvious that Roku does not care about this issue and is not willing to even try to fix it.

Terrible company!

Luckily I still have two Roku 4660 versions that I bought in 2017 in which this issue doesn't occur so I can play those files and they look correct. But the new Roku Ultras and new Roku 4K devices has this issue, it's completely unacceptable and embarrassing that Roku not only has had this problem for so long but appears to be doing zero to fix it.

I say again, terrible company!

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @spoole100,

Thank you so much for providing your details here in the Roku Community!
We sincerely regret any inconvenience this may have caused you. Rest assured that we have already forwarded your concern and information to the appropriate Roku team for further investigation and to fix the issue as soon as possible. We are dedicated to finding a solution to your concerns, so please don't hesitate to let us know if there is anything further we can do to help, and we'll continue assisting you at any time.

To @Emissary35,

We appreciate you providing your suggestions, and we value your feedback. We always aim to provide our customers with the best streaming experience and convenience when using our services. This has been noted, and if you need anything else, please let us know.

Your patience and understanding are highly appreciated.
Kind regards,
Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
HAL-9000
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I would like to state that I am also experiencing this issue with media playback over network.  The video is incredibly saturated and not viewable. 

I recently moved away from FireTV (due to the constant advertisement spam) and was really happy with the Roku interface but if this cannot be resolved I will have no choice but to return the Roku devices to seller for refund.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.