Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scott30
Reel Rookie

No audio plays from MP4 in Roku Media Player when streaming from DLNA server

I have a Roku tv stick, and am trying to use the Roku media player to connect to my windows 10 computer as a DLNA server in order to play mp4 videos from my computer on my tv. The video plays, and everything looks ok, however, audio will not play for the majority of my mp4s - some of them DO work, however, most of them don't. All MP4s were encoded using AAC audio, which should be supported, however, no matter what I try, I cannot get this to work.

Has anyone else had any luck solving this problem? Is Roku working on an update to fix the media player?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
andyross
Roku Guru

Re: No audio plays from MP4 in Roku Media Player when streaming from DLNA server

Roku has more or less abandoned the Roku Media Player. They are more focused on Internet streaming. I don't know if maybe Plex might work.

0 Kudos
Scott30
Reel Rookie

Re: No audio plays from MP4 in Roku Media Player when streaming from DLNA server

I was afraid of that. Plex isn't the way I want to go, I don't want to have my files going through their servers. At this point, I may as well find another dlna reciever - I know that Amazon fire sticks do the kob if I get the right app on them. I kight try that.

I wish Roku wiuld update their media player though.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@Scott30, AAC audio should work, but I believe only mono/stereo AAC is supported.  It's been a while, so I may be misremembering things.  I've said it before, if playing your own media is important to you, there's much better alternatives.  I sincerely doubt that Roku will ever add features to their media player that aren't required by the big players in the streaming game (i.e., Netflix).  You either adapt/re-encode your media to something that's supported, use on-the-fly transcoding, or look elsewhere for a streaming device.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Scott30
Reel Rookie

Yeah, I'm gonna look into Amazon's fire stick. I have over 800 files, most of which use 5.1 audio. I think what you mean by stereo would be 2.1. No way am I going to re-encode all of those.

Roku needs to get to work on this though, this is just stupid.

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

The poor audio support is probably why Tidal pulled their app from Roku.

If you want good audio support, you mainly need to pay for a quality device. Mainstream Roku and even Firesticks are somewhat basic. The Google Onn 4K streamer may be usable as it's basic GoogleTV and you can do most anything with it.

For true audiophile, look to Apple TV or Nvidia Shield.

0 Kudos
Scott30
Reel Rookie

Personally, I despise all things Apple, so I'll look into the nvidia shield. I might also look at Google.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.