Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SK-Pete
Streaming Star

YouTubeTv app constantly buffering

Jump to solution

I am having trouble with constant buffering on all my Roku Ultra boxes.  I only stream YouTubeTv but this happens on all channels (e.g. HGTV, ESPN, etc). 

I have tried all this to no avail…

• Reboot Router
  • Restart Roku boxes
  • Power cycle Roku boxes
  • Remove and Replace YouTubeTV app
  • Verify YouTubeTV app is latest version.
  • Check Connection on each Roku
  • Each Roku device shows 180-200M of bandwidth and is “Excellent”
  • I have put my laptop next to each TV/Roku and run a bandwidth test.  I get 400-450M of bandwidth.
  • I have two networks, the internet from Frontier and then a mesh network connected to the Frontier router.  The Frontier WiFi only has 1 device connected, a Roku 35-40 feet way with no walls in between.  The other 2 Roku are on the Mesh.  Makes no difference. 
  • Makes no difference if only Roku box is running on the network.

Please help, this is ruining my marriage!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: YouTubeTv app constantly buffering

Jump to solution

Hi @SK-Pete,

Thank you for posting here in the Roku Community!

We understand that you are experiencing issues with your YouTube channel, and we appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

Kindly follow the steps below to help us resolve this issue. Please follow the steps precisely.

1. Uninstall the channel by highlighting it, pressing the * button, and selecting "remove".
  2. Clear cache and data: From the Roku home screen, navigate to Settings > System > Advanced system settings > Network connection reset. Choose "Reset connection" and then-
  3. Restart your Roku device by unplugging your TV and then plugging it back in. This step can help clear any temporary cache or data-causing issues.
  4. Check your internet connection: Ensure that your Roku device is connected to a stable internet connection. You can test your internet connection by going to Settings > Network > Check connection on your Roku device. If your connection is weak or unstable, try restarting your router or contacting your internet service provider for assistance.
  5. Reinstall the channel by pressing the home button on your Roku remote, scrolling and selecting "Store", and then adding the channel from there.
Note: If the issue persists with the specific channel, we highly suggest that you contact Youtube support directly. Many channels and apps on Roku are created, maintained, and updated by the channel providers themselves.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Jharra
Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
briggins
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Uninstalling the YouTube TV app, restarting the Roku and reinstalling the app appears to have fixed the problem. For now.

Thanks for the follow up.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @SK-Pete 

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community.

We understand the trouble you have experienced with the constant buffering with the YouTube app on your Roku devices, and we're here to collect more details pertaining the issue so that we can review it further. Could you please provide the following details below so our team can look into this closer?

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version. (These can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  • What channel and what version/build is the channel that is having the issue? (This can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button).
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs. (When you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID).
  • A photo or video clip referring to the issue,
Once we have this information, our team will be able to investigate and take action accordingly.

Your response would be much appreciated.

Best wishes,
Kash
Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
SK-Pete
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Thank you for responding. Here is the device info, which I wish you would make available with the partial device info on my Roku Account page.

MBR:  Model: 4670X-Roku-Ultra  SN: YJ005Y799946.  ID: KW9065799946  Software OS: 13.0.0 Build: 24056-46

LR: Model: Model: 4670X-Roku-Ultra  SN: YJ006C758279   ID: KW9066758279  SW: 13.0.0 B: 24056-46

Movie:   Model: 4670X-Roku-Ultra  SN:  ID: KWAS068755907  Software: 13.1.4 B:1510-46 just upgraded to 13.1.4 B:1512-46

Oddly, the Roku in my movie room seems to be exactly the same, but it is on a higher version of software and even allowed me to upgrade today.  The other two say I am up to date.  What is the deal with that?

We only watch YouTubeTV and the app is up to date and same version on all 3 TVs.  App V2.2.2 Build: 110005581

Do you really need a photo?  It is just the progress circle spinning around forever.  

Sometimes we can go backwards and then the progress/buffering circle goes away and then we can go forwards.  Sometimes that does not work.  Usually, we can change to a new channel and then change back and the buffering circle goes away as if some buffering queue or cache has been reset by this action.  Both hacks are very annoying to have to do.  Sometimes if we wait long enough it goes away.

0 Kudos
SK-Pete
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Here is a tracking number I captured: 46-299-225.  I did the 5x5 sequence and that only took me to the home page.  I did it a second time and got this number, so I don't know if it is a useful tracker.

Here is another: 79-299-357.

7/29: 79-303-831.  

0 Kudos
HAO2

Jump to solution

I'm following this closely because I also have a Roku Ultra with similar issues.

I need to restart the Roku before ANY app will load - Netflix, Hulu, etc.. and PEACOCK won't load at all now after previously buffering constantly for the past couple of weeks.

I have run thru all the tips and nothing works now and I'm missing the OLYMPICS.

0 Kudos
SK-Pete
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@HAO2 I don't think you have the same problem and you should start a new thread.  I do recommend you running internet speed tests like I did so you can put that data in your first post.  Also indicate if you go over WiFi or direct connect.  

I never have a problem loading an app, just during streaming of YouTubeTv shows.

0 Kudos
SK-Pete
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Hi, my wife is about to throw the remote through the TV, can you please give me some feedback on your research?  I posted 3 tracker IDs buy you have not responded.

0 Kudos
SK-Pete
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

This morning I was watching CNBC via YouTubeTV and I rewound and watched something for a minute, then fast-forwarded to live and then it went into buffering mode.  After a while I gave up and captured this error code.  

79-305-987

0 Kudos
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @SK-Pete,

Thank you for posting here in the Roku Community!

We understand that you are experiencing issues with your YouTube channel, and we appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

Kindly follow the steps below to help us resolve this issue. Please follow the steps precisely.

1. Uninstall the channel by highlighting it, pressing the * button, and selecting "remove".
  2. Clear cache and data: From the Roku home screen, navigate to Settings > System > Advanced system settings > Network connection reset. Choose "Reset connection" and then-
  3. Restart your Roku device by unplugging your TV and then plugging it back in. This step can help clear any temporary cache or data-causing issues.
  4. Check your internet connection: Ensure that your Roku device is connected to a stable internet connection. You can test your internet connection by going to Settings > Network > Check connection on your Roku device. If your connection is weak or unstable, try restarting your router or contacting your internet service provider for assistance.
  5. Reinstall the channel by pressing the home button on your Roku remote, scrolling and selecting "Store", and then adding the channel from there.
Note: If the issue persists with the specific channel, we highly suggest that you contact Youtube support directly. Many channels and apps on Roku are created, maintained, and updated by the channel providers themselves.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Jharra
Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
SK-Pete
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I have done all this before and it did not help.  But I will try one more time when it won't interrupt my wife.

My WiFi speed on a laptop next to Roku box is 450M the Roku box says about 190M.  That should be great, right?  This is on multiple Roku boxes and all have been rebooted and remove/add app, etc.

Please give me status on these bug reports.  Have they been looked at?  What was the Engineer's response.  Please don't tell me to do stuff if you are not looking at my bug reports.  Here they are:

79-305-987

79-303-831.

79-299-357

46-299-225

79-313-437

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.