Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BonkedAgain
Reel Rookie

YouTubeTV buffering issues

This only happens with YouTubeTV, it frequently freezes and has buffering issues. I have done the Uninstall > Restart > Reinstall process several times. All other channels and apps are fine. I have checked my internet provider strength and this does not happen with YouTubeTV on other Roku TVs. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
RokuBernie-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: YouTubeTV buffering issues

Hi @BonkedAgain,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We thank you for letting us know your troubleshooting steps so far. We understand that this issue is still ongoing, and we apologize for the inconvenience this has caused.

We highly suggest you contact YouTube TV directly regarding this concern because many channels/apps on Roku are created, maintained, and updated by the channel providers themselves. You can contact YouTube TV Help.

We hope that's helpful. Happy Streaming!

Best regards,
Bernie

Bernie D.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
BonkedAgain
Reel Rookie

I have had extensive discussions with YouTubeTV, I have uninstalled, reinstalled, etc etc on the YouTube side. There was a home area and playback area issue with YouTube that I fixed. Also, I have two other Roku TVs running the same YouTubeTV app and we do not experience the buffering issue, it is with only this one #RokuTV

I have run tests with my internet providers, all with Excellent bandwidth (I use two different internet and fiber optic providers).

What can I do to identify the issue with the TV and what are fixes?

RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @BonkedAgain,

Thank you for keeping us posted here in the Roku Community!

We appreciate the information that you have provided to us, and we'd love to assist you further with this issue that you're having with the YouTube TV. Can you please provide the following information below?

• Is this happening on all contents and channels, or is it isolated? (Specify)
  • How far is your Roku device from your network router?
  • Could you send us a photo or video clip?

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Jay99
Channel Surfer

I’ve read all the posts on this subject and tried all the remedies. All my buffering was on YouTubeTV, not on any other channels.   When I removed the streambar everything works perfectly again, no buffering.  My TV doesn’t have an HDMI ARC so I was using the optical cord.  I’m wondering if this problem exists if you have HDMI ARC?

RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Jay99,

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community!

Please be advised that ARC, or Audio Return Channel, lets your TV send audio to an external audio device such as a Roku Streambar, Roku Streambar Pro, or Roku Smart Soundbar without the need for additional cables. After attempting the troubleshooting steps and videos from other channels playing fine, contact the channel provider's customer support team to report the issue and get help. Channels on Roku are maintained by the channel developers themselves. In this case, there's likely an issue within that specific channel that needs to be addressed with an update from them.

Hope you'll find this info useful. Let us know if you still have any questions.

Regards,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
BonkedAgain
Reel Rookie

Jay, After doing an extreme deep dive by talking with my smartTV manufacturer TCL, Roku, YouTubeTV and others, I have FINALLY solved my buffering/freeze issues and wanted to put it out there for others....It turns out that YouTubeTV has a 5.1 audio setting that is not compatible with all viewing devices. So, similar to your issue with the ARC issue there is another path: by disabling 5.1 sound/surround sound IN THE YOUTUBE TV APP. Go to the profile icon, upper right-hand corner of the YouTube app > settings > 5.1 Audio > Surround Sound OFF. 

Evidently, the app tries to keep the sound and video synced, it holds up the video which causes buffering and freezing. And after view all variations of connecting/disconnecting soundbar and 5.1 audio, it now works with the 5.1 disabled. Again, this is only with certain viewing devices, but it is a trouble-shooting option if you are experiencing problems and nothing else works. 

AuntRobin
Reel Rookie

I had hopes this was the fix, but it didn't make any difference.   I only have  the issue using my streambar, no streambar no issue. 

RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @AuntRobin,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

Please note that we are currently aware and our engineering team has been investigating this issue closely.

In the meantime, please help us with the required details so we can send additional information for the investigation to our engineering team:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  • Does this issue occur on a specific channel? If so, what channel and what version or build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the home screen and pressing the * button)?
  • Tracker ID (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID).
  • What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far?

Feel free to keep us posted with the details.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Jay99
Channel Surfer

Here’s a solution that may work for you.  Reinstall the Roku stick to control your TV.  Then use the optical cord and plug in the streambar to TV, and plug in the power cord.  Now you can control your TV with the stick and Roku remote but you have no volume control, so plug in an HDMI cord to the streambar and HDMI on the TV.  Turn off your TV speakers with the TV’s remote.  Now you can control volume with the Roku.  So far no buffering on YouTubeTV or any other channel!

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.