Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RickyRichard
Binge Watcher

Re: YouTube app constant buffering

I have submitted the following Google case ID after a chat conversation with Youtube Premium support.

case ID 4-1228000035570

Mpiatt
Channel Surfer

Interesting thoughts. I didn’t realize there was a limit. I have an ip, iPad, numerous Rokus and PCs. And interestingly I also have YouTube Premium. Of course, I’m the only one using so simultaneous streams are probably 3 max.

I did try the: delete YT app, restart Roku, reinstall YT app and that did help…but did not completely solve. 

RickyRichard
Binge Watcher

It may be that the Youtube Premium support person was not knowledgable about the subject. When I subscribed to Google Music ten years ago, you could only log into a total of ten devices during the lifetime of your membership. While testing various devices, I ran into that limit, and Google reset my device counter as a one-time courtesy. Now the only device limit seems to be associated with the ability to download/cache videos on Youtube Premium as described in the following link (https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6308288?hl=en). It does not have anything to do with the buffer health on the Roku. 

Switching topics, I tested the "Link with TV code" under the "Settings" menu on the Roku Youtube Channel. I link it with the same Google account on my phone, and it worked well with the videos that I selected with the phone.  The buffer size was 25 seconds and there were no pauses. However, when I selected videos using the Roku remote, it reverted to the login on the Roku device, and the buffering issues returned.

Mpiatt
Channel Surfer

I can watch YT fine through my smart TVs, but it’s so inconvenient. That’s why I have Rokus. First World Problems. 🤣🤣🤣

RickyRichard
Binge Watcher

I just discovered that there are no buffering issues when playing the "Free" content provided under the "Movies & TV" link, such as "Mork & Mindy" or "Cleopatra (1963)". It only seems to happen with user-supplied content.

Shooty
Reel Rookie

Two of ours tvs use Roku sticks and one of those my wife has discovered a trick to continue watching.  When it starts buffering she hits FF once quickly, just enough to move it then she continues watching and repeats when it buffers again. In this way she manages to milk a show out.  I noticed none of the Roku reps responded today. That’s a little odd considering was a business day. 

RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Community users,

Thanks for reaching out to us here in the Roku Community!

We're sorry to hear that you've experienced this kind of issue, and we'd like to gather more details for us to look into this. Kindly provide us with the following:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version. (These can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  • Does this issue occur specifically on The Roku Channell? If so, what version/build is the channel? (This can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button).
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs. (When you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID).

Your response would be much appreciated, as the details you provide will be forwarded to our appropriate Roku team for this issue to be addressed.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RickyRichard
Binge Watcher

Chel, @RokuJechealR , here is the information you requested. I did not include the Tracker ID since the issue seems to have been fixed!

TCL model 49S405
Serial number YN007L680127
Device ID HJ7887680127
Software version 12.5.0 build 4176-30

YouTube Version 2.20 build 110005159

I tested all three of my Roku devices (Two TCL TVs and one Express 4K+), and they all are buffering very well. The buffer health is > 25 seconds and there are no pauses. How about the rest of you? @Shooty , @Mpiatt and @BeachGuy1 

RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thank you for the update, @RickyRichard!

We're glad to hear that you're back on streaming now!

For future assistance, please don't hesitate to reach out again, as we would be more than happy to continue doing so.

Happy Streaming!

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Mpiatt
Channel Surfer

My issues seem to be resolved as well on all content on my Rokus accessing YT Premium. Thanks for your help everyone. 👍🏻

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.