Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BradB8002
Reel Rookie

Tubi app automatically installs and plays upon TV/Roku shutdown

Just connected my Roku Ultra to a new TV--Samsung S95D.  We have always used the Roku remote for TV and Roku control and only use the Roku interface for playing apps.  

Since connecting the Roku to the new TV, each time I attempt to turn off the TV using the Roku remote power button, Roku starts installing the Tubi app and playing it.  I don't even have a Tubi account.  What is going on here?  If I delete the app through Roku, it just reinstalls the next time I try to power down.  I can't turn off this TV with the Roku remote and I can't get rid of this ridiculous Tubi app.  Help!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Tubi app automatically installs and plays upon TV/Roku shutdown

Greetings from the Roku Community, @BradB8002!

We appreciate you informing us about the Tubi issue with your Roku device, and we're here to help.

We highly recommend creating a Roku PIN (Personal Identification Number).is a four-digit code that allows you to authorize who can make purchases and add apps on your Roku streaming device. It can also be used as a parental control feature to keep children from watching certain kinds of content on The Roku Channel.

If you haven't tried any troubleshooting steps yet:

You can try the following steps:

1. Remove the channel: navigate to your Home screen, move to the right, highlight the app, press Star*, then select Remove channel
  2. Clear cache and data: From the Roku home screen, navigate to Settings > System > Advanced system settings > Network connection reset. Choose "Reset connection" and set up the connection once again.
  3. Perform a system reboot: navigate to your Home, select Settings > System > Power (skip if unavailable) > System restart
  4. Re-install the channel: navigate to your Home, scroll and choose Store, look for the app, then press Add channel

Please try doing this and see if it helps with what you're experiencing.

Best regards,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
BradB8002
Reel Rookie

Thank you for the reply, though I'm not sure you really understood the original problem.  I followed the procedure you gave.  Here's the issue as it stands now.  I am now able to turn on and off the TV using the Roku Voice Pro remote, but when the TV is turned on, the Tubi app autoplays.  If the app is deleted, the next time the TV is turned on, it will load the app and autoplay.  

I have tried numerous settings changes both within Roku and within the TV settings.  I have eliminated the CEC remote protocol and am just using IR for the remote control of the TV.  I have updated all software and firmware for both the Roku and TV.  I have removed all network access to the TV itself so only the Roku is connected to the internet.

Something within the Roku box is forcing the autoplay or install/autoplay of the Tubi app.  It  is only this app that is the problem.  Interestingly, I see Roku is promoting Jurassic Park on Tubi on the homescreen.  This can't be a coincidence.  

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@BradB8002 

Try downloading and installing the Roku Mobile app on a mobile device and use that as your remote control. (available in iOS and Play Store). https://www.roku.com/mobile-app

Also see mobile app Support article https://support.roku.com/article/217288467

If your remote has batteries, remove them and just use the mobile app as remote.  If you have a rechargeable remote, move the remote as far away as possible so it cannot receive a wifi connection. (The Roku Voice remotes are RF-based/Wifi capable).  With far away as possible, talking about placing in the trunk of a car, in the backyard, down the street, etc.  Somewhere where it cannot receive a wifi signal.

Then see if the issue resolves itself while only using the mobile app as a remote.  If so, then likely culprit is the Roku remote.  Maybe whack it around a bit, push in all the buttons and wiggle them around.  Could just be a stuck button (like the OK button or the Play button that is automatically selecting the ad that is then prompting Tubi to install so you can watch the content on the ad).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Justin97

Just got a brand new Samsung tv and jbl 500 sound and everytime I turn off tv from either the Roku remote OR the Samsung remote it turns off and about 3 seconds later it turns on and auto loads Tubi app. If I delete tubi app then when it turns off tv about 3 seconds and it turns tv back on and auto downloads tubi app. So annoying, the only way I could even get tv to stay off is unplugging Roku. Need help please!

0 Kudos
Justin97

I believe it’s on a Roku premier of that helps diagnose…

0 Kudos
BradB8002
Reel Rookie

Justin, this is the exact issue I am having (and tried to describe in my original post).  I was able to get the Power Off function to work by disabling the Samsung Anytime+ in the TV settings so at least I am able to turn everything off.  However, the Tubi app still autoplays or loads/autoplays everytime I turn everything back on.  I haven't followed AVSGunnar's suggestion yet but will try that tomorrow and will report back.

0 Kudos
Justin97

Bradb, the disabling Samsung plus like you suggested fixed the being able to turn off tv without it turning back on, just like you explained. Also like you explained, Mine is still auto loading tubi when turning Roku back on.  Thank you for response and hoping you are able to find this last annoying missing link to our problem. If I find anything I will report back as well. Thank you. 

0 Kudos
BradB8002
Reel Rookie

This issue has nothing to do with a bad remote.  It seems to be connected to a new terrible Roku "feature" that autoplays ads when loading the homescreen.  This is a bad, bad, idea, Roku!  

I would like to know how I can opt out of this autoplay **bleep**, otherwise I will most definitely be looking for a streaming box alternative.  I don't want apps to load themselves and I don't want to watch a forced ad before I can access my apps.  I doubt anyone else does either, but I'm sure the Roku defenders will be here soon to tell me that "everyone's doing it."

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@BradB8002 

I haven't received any of these video ads, but from what has been reported by users that are seeing these is that they are reserved/located to the existing Marquee ad location (the large ad space to right of apps on home screen) and they have no sound.

Since they are an ad, they should not be automatically installing the channel/app unless "something/someone" is actively clicking on them. (there is possibility a bug exists with this new test feature).

Not sure if the "autoplay" settings have any effect on video ads, but you can try disabling it under the Accessibility section.  (Settings/Accessibility/Auto-play video/[Off])

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.