Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BradB8002
Channel Surfer

Re: Tubi app automatically installs and plays upon TV/Roku shutdown

I checked again yesterday and there was no "autoplay ad" on the lower left of the homescreen, just the static ad that is to the right of the homescreen as you mentioned.  Previously, there had been an ad on the lower left side of the homescreen that had a [Play/Pause] button above it.  First this was for a Tubi ad (which prompted my initial post), then a couple days later it was an ad for something on the Roku channel.  Yesterday that lower left ad was gone.  It is clear to me that it is the lower left "playable" ad that is causing the automatic app installation (if not already installed) followed by autoplay of the ad.  

I haven't looked today but will see how this develops.  I don't mind the ad to the right of the homescreen because it doesn't autoplay.  If this lower left autoplay ad continues, that is unacceptable.  We'll see.  Maybe Roku is testing this out to see what kind of flak they get (will be a lot if pushed out to everyone).

ETA:  the autoplay in the Accessability menu is NOT selected and this setting doesn't seem to affect the autoplay of the ads I am referring to.

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@BradB8002 

The lower left ad will come and go.  That spot was initially reserved for Roku-related promotions (Roku Channel, Roku Originals, Roku Channel special events, etc) but has expanded to now include other channel partners and channel promotions.

Generally, it requires the user to press the Play/Pause button to view the ad info (which in turn will launch the ad's channel, or install it if not presently installed).  It should not be doing anything "automatically" and this should also be a "static" ad, no video playing in that space.  Just make sure you are not inadvertently pressing the Play/Pause button while on Home Screen and that ad should just remain inert.

----

As for Roku reacting to user flak about ads.  Don't count on it.  I think you will see a whole bunch of different ad changes in the coming months as we have seen over the past year.  Sling just instituted the "Pause Ad" which is triggered when selecting pause. (similar to some other channels/apps).  I am sure Roku will soon be following suit as I had seen a few of them when they tested this feature previously. (either late last year or early this year, can't remember).

The Roku pause ad was just a smaller banner ad near the top, so nothing too intrusive. (i kind of remember them being pizza related).  I haven't seen the Sling pause ad yet.

Personally, I am not too bothered with the Home Screen ads.  Just a business model of Roku and I really just think of the Home Screen as a portal to get to the channel/apps.  As long as the basic layout remains the same and allows user control/customization, an ad here or there is fine.  And any auto-launching of any ad prior to accessing the Home Screen will be a strict no-go for me.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

BradB8002
Channel Surfer

Trust me, I hear what you’re saying but I can 100% assure you that this lower left ad was automatically playing by simply turning on the TV with the Roku “always on,” using the Roku remote power button.  One of the reasons I like the Roku remote is it’s easy to avoid accidentally pushing buttons.

And generally I agree with you on the non-obtrusive static ads but the problem with it is you give them an inch and they take a mile.  They will push their customers to the limit and then probe to see where that limit is.  At a certain point people will say it’s just not worth the aggravation anymore.  By that time, the bean counters and executives who managed to extract that last marginal penny from their long time customers will be long gone with their bonuses.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.