Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ken61lee

YouTube TV video loses audio and slow to respond

Issue seems to occur after long pause (10+ minutes) of recorded YouTubeTV video/show. YouTubeTV is then very slow to respond to the remote and start streaming and there is no audio but video plays smoothly. I have this happen on 3 different Roku ultra devices. Only way I’ve fount to recover is to unplug Roku or do settings->system->power-system restart.

2 REPLIES 2
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: YouTube TV video loses audio and slow to respond

Hi @Ken61lee,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

We understand that your Roku devices are having audio issues. We would be more than happy to look further into this issue but will need more details. Can you please provide us with the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to investigate further.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
SPiRAh

Re: YouTube TV video loses audio and slow to respond

I’ve also had this issue for MONTHS! But my issues isn’t just with recorded shows, it’s also with live streaming shows (on YouTube TV) as well. I’m not sure if it’s just one or all channels as I really only pause on one channel (CMT) to come back to after a little while & can watch whatever show I’m interested in at the time. However, it really does no good to pause a live streaming show if you’ll have to restart the Roku when the show is already over. And as you stated, it does this with recorded shows, as well. *Note: it doesn’t do this every time it’s paused for a while. Sometimes it works perfectly fine, so it’s not something that occurs every time; which is why it’s so hard to figure out why it does it to start with!

I’ve also had an issue when watching & pausing during shows/movies on PLEX, too. The issue with it on PLEX though is the audio & video aren’t in sync. There’s a very noticeable delay between them. 

The slow reaction is very frustrating as well! I’m not sure why it takes so long at times when it does this. To get it back to “normal” reaction speed I have to restart the Roku completely. I understand when it’s been on for hours or even paused for a very long time, but when it’s just recently been restarted & still DRASTICALLY slows down after a 10-20 min pause?? I wake it back up from the screensaver by pushing the down arrow, to avoid any issues with pushing enter or play. Once it’s awake & back to the paused show, then I push play. 

I never had this issue with my original Roku devices. This only started when I got the Ultra several months ago. I’m not sure if it’s the Ultra devices themselves, or the updates since getting the Ultra. I have taken the advice of another member on another thread like this one, changing the audio settings on the Roku to Dolby & Passthrough so I’m hoping it will help! It’s very frustrating, though!!

Also while we’re talking about the audio, will the volume buttons on your Roku remote turn your tv volume up past 13? That’s as high as mine will go. I have to use the tv remote to go higher. I know it’s not really an “issue” as I can resolve it with another remote, but if the Roku remote has buttons to adjust the volume- shouldn’t it adjust it to the volume you want??