Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Emissary35
Roku Guru

Re: Update making colors appear too red, too rich

Jump to solution

The Roku mods are here to continually thank us for reporting issues, saying that isn't the experience they want us to have. Then say they are reporting it to the appropriate team for investigation. Then weeks, months and in some instances years go by with no fix. More people complain about the same issues and they get the same useless replies from the moderators. That is a horrible way to treat your customers when you don't fix your product, I wouldn't recommend Roku any longer to anyone.

Brettface
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Based on the other threads in this forum, this bug is at least two years old.  I can't believe it's been so long.

The only workarounds people have found so far have been:

1. Remove color data from the HEVC MKV container with a tool like MKVToolNix.
  2. Convert the whole thing to MP4.
  3. Throw away Roku and switch to something like an Nvidia Shield or an Android stick.

My problem is I'm viewing live HEVC streams with AC-3 audio - there's no file for me to strip color info from!

uncletim
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

OS 13 didn't fix this yet? 

Olddrache
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Any updates on finally fixing this? 

spoole100
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@Olddrache wrote:

Any updates on finally fixing this? 

Roku's current response is the same as Roku's response for the last 2 years...  Silence.

Olddrache
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

ROKU, any update on fixing this.  Just replaced 1 ROKU with the Firestick 4k which is currently on sale btw and has ZERO problems playing HEVC .   3 more ROKUs to replace...

nyc_derek
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Took the plunge and bought a Sheild Pro. Had no idea what I'd been missing. So snappy, everything just works.

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

I have three Shield players, including one of the original releases. However, that oldest one is getting picky, and occasionally freezes during playback from my DLNA server. So I just ordered a Fire TV Cube to try out. The reason I didn't choose another Roku (which I still use on other TVs) is that I want/need the ability to display captions from ripped DVD and Blu Ray discs. These captions are image based, and Roku devices only support text based captions (like TV broadcasts use). So I can only get captions from my recorded TV broadcasts, which is a minor part of my overall media server content. 

I still use the Shield heavily for my local media content on my other big screen set. Streaming the lossless audio (including Atmos from some movies) and the caption ability is next to none. But the Fire TV Cube should do the same, and it's $85 less expensive than the Shield Pro. Nvidia really needs to update the Shield, as the last update (which added Dolby Vision support) was in 2019.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Olddrache
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

2+ years.  Any updates ROKU? If you arent going to fix a software issue, at least refund us.  This has already been proven to be a ROKU issue.

Used to be a big supporter of ROKU and was hoping the update to 12.0+ would fix yet here we are? 

This is just unacceptable. 

Olddrache
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

badreview 1.PNG