Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chroma601
Binge Watcher

Re: Update making colors appear too red, too rich

Jump to solution

I have noticed that HDR seems to no longer be affected since the update, in that it switches as it should when the TV HDR is set for Auto. Color Space, on the other hand, constantly needs to be switched from Auto to bc709 when playing 10 bit HEVC files that are indeed bc709. It's like it expects every 10 bit HEVC file to be bt2020.

0 Kudos
tomcat335
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I'm also having the issue on my new Roku Ultra. It's really annoying that what seems to be a 3 year old problem is still present. Maybe I shouldn't have upgraded from my old Roku.

I don't have a 4K TV so it should never go into HDR mode.

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @tomcat335,

Greetings and welcome to the Roku Community!

We appreciate you letting us know about your inquiry. Have you made sure to turn off the HDR mode on your Roku Ultra? If not, you can turn it off by navigating to Settings > Display Type and selecting the compatible display type your Roku streaming device and TV accords with.

Please let us know how it goes.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
tomcat335
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Yes, I had made sure to turn off HDR and selected 1080p. It was always in 1080p as my TV doesn't support 4K. 

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @tomcat335,

Thanks for keeping us posted.

Could you please confirm to us what TV you currently own? Checking for your TV settings might do the trick in adjusting the color being displayed while streaming.

Please keep us posted so we'll be able to provide you with further assistance.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
tomcat335
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I don't mean to sound snarky but did you read the thread? It's not a problem with my TV.

To confirm I took one of the videos and stripped the colour information and it had the correct colours with the same settings on my Roku and streaming app as the video that didn't. The only difference was taking out a few colour tags from the MKV file. I also played the video using the streaming app's web player on my laptop and that played correctly.

This leads me to believe (like many others on here) that it's a bug in how the Roku is interpreting the colour information.

RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @tomcat335,

Thanks for keeping us posted on this Community thread!

We will be more than happy to look further into this issue that you're experiencing. Could you send us a photo or video of the current issue that you're experiencing? What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far? What device are you using right now? (e.g., Roku Express, Roku Streambar, Roku TV)

With detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
tomcat335
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Here are before and after pictures of the problem. The after was taken after I manually removed the colour metadata from the video.

I've restarted, checked to make sure I'm on the latest version, tried the video on my Mac using the same streaming software's web interface (the problem wasn't there when I did that) and googled to see that this was a known problem and has been for 3 years.

I'm using a new Roku Ultra.

BeforeBeforeAfterAfter

0 Kudos
tomcat335
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Does anyone else have this issue?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

The only time I've seen color push like this is playing a Dolby Vision test clip on a device that doesn't support DV. But playing H.265 content with HDR10 or no HDR has no color issues when using my Ultra 4800 or Premiere 3920.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos