Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jgeets
Reel Rookie

Unable to open the MLB App on Roku device

Jump to solution

For five days now the MLB app on both of our tv's will not open up. When clicked it simply returns to the home screen after a few seconds. Confirmed with MLB not an issue with them. A chat with Roku customer service the other day eventually isolated the problem to a recent update to Roku software, with various versions being affected. Great...but when is the fix going to be put in place? For the time being we're left paying for a subscription we can't use.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Unable to open the MLB App on Roku device

Jump to solution

Hi @jgeets,

Thank you for posting here in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you letting us know that this MLB channel is not working on your Roku device, and we're here to assist you! 

To get things sorted, here are a couple of steps you can try:

1. Restart your router
    - You might need to check the instructions from your internet service provider or router manufacturer for the best way to restart your router.
  2. Restart your Roku device.
    - Unplug the power cable, wait for a moment, and then plug it back in.
  3. You can also go to the Settings menu and follow these steps:
    -Press Home on your Roku remote
    -Scroll and select Settings
    -Select System
    -Select Power
    -If you don't see a Power submenu, move on to the next step
    -Select System restart.

Note: If you encounter a problem on a specific channel while others are working normally, we recommend reaching out to the channel provider for help and clarification. It's important to note that most content on the Roku platform is sourced from streaming channels that are maintained and updated independently by their providers.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation!

Best regards,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @jgeets,

Thank you for posting here in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you letting us know that this MLB channel is not working on your Roku device, and we're here to assist you! 

To get things sorted, here are a couple of steps you can try:

1. Restart your router
    - You might need to check the instructions from your internet service provider or router manufacturer for the best way to restart your router.
    - Unplug the power cable, wait for a moment, and then plug it back in.
    -Press Home on your Roku remote
    -Scroll and select Settings
    -Select System
    -Select Power
    -If you don't see a Power submenu, move on to the next step
    -Select System restart.

Note: If you encounter a problem on a specific channel while others are working normally, we recommend reaching out to the channel provider for help and clarification. It's important to note that most content on the Roku platform is sourced from streaming channels that are maintained and updated independently by their providers.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation!

Best regards,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Bertha23

Jump to solution

(Sensitive informaton) Bertha

0 Kudos
Needa

Jump to solution

Same exact problem. Everyone pointed fingers at everyone else, but no one had a solution. After being hung up on many times today, and spending way too much time on this, I'm no better off than I was when I began. The last person told me I didn't even have an account, even though I pay for it and watch it every day. Very frustrating!

0 Kudos
RokuEmmanuel-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Welcome to the Roku Community, @Needa!

Thanks for flagging it here and informing us about your difficulty with the MLB app not working. This is not the experience we want you to have, and we're here to help you get back on streaming. 

For further assistance, kindly provide us with more details about it to isolate the issue:

• What error message do you see on your screen when accessing the app?
  • What troubleshooting have you done to resolve the problem?
  • Is it also affecting other channels? 
  • What Roku device is affected by this issue? 
  • A photo of the problem will help us gain more insight.

For the time being, please perform the troubleshooting steps provided above by @RokuJharra-Q to see if they improve your current situation. Also, you may need to remove the app, reboot your Roku, and reinstall the MLB app as additional steps to resolve the issue. 

For more troubleshooting, refer to this support article: How to resolve a channel playback issue.

We are looking forward to hearing from you and looking closely into this issue.

Regards,
Emman

Emmanuel-D.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Irdkawi
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I'm having the same issue with MLB not opening on ROKU. I have a TCL 55 and TCL 65 and two ROKU streaming sticks that worked up until 18 AUG 2024. 

Troubleshooting

TCL 65 - uninstalled / reinstalled MLB app. Worked for one game and failed to open properly. Then factory reset TCL 65 and logged in using same email as MLB account is under. Observed app open then close to the ROKU home page with the MLB app highlighted. 

TCL 55 - uninstalled / reinstalled MLB app. Failed to open app properly. Same indications as TCL 65.

ROKU sticks - uninstalled / reinstalled MLB app. App failed to open properly. Similar to TCL boxes. 

All other subscription based apps work. Appletv, Spectrum, MAX, and NETFLIX operate properly. 

MLB app can be accessed via my apple and android devices. I've been mirroring my iOS devices to the ROKU TVs. 

Please help fix this issue. 

0 Kudos
Irdkawi
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

To continue:

1. Restart your router
    - I followed Spectrums procedures to reset the MODEM and router. Did not resolve the issue. I installed a second wifi router and have the same issue with the MLB app opening then closing. I see the baseball spin then the roku home screen is displayed
    - did not resolve the issue. 
    -folllwed these procedures as well as factory reset to no avail.
0 Kudos
Irdkawi
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I found this on the MLB.TV URL. It didn't work for me, perhaps someone else can get something from it. 

https://www.mlb.com/live-stream-games/help-center/roku-requirements

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @Irdkawi 

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community.

We understand your concern regarding having the same issue with the MLB app on Roku as reported by other users in this thread. We'd like to gather more information for us to take a further look at the issue. Can you please provide the details below:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version. (These can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  • What channel and what version/build is the channel that is having the issue? (This can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button).
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs. (When you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID).
  • A photo or video clip referring to the issue,

Once these details have been provided, our team will be able to investigate on this issue, and we will provide an update.

We hope to hear back a response from you regarding this matter.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Nance1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

We have been having the exact same problem with the MLB.TV app for the last couple weeks. It works perfectly on Mobile phone & IPad.   Tried uninstalling & reinstalling (numerous times), have restarted the Network (numerous times), etc. Contacted MLB.TV this morning (866-244-2291).  
After giving Technical Support the Model numbers of the 3 Roku devices, I was told that the MLB App no longer supports them and will no run on them!  I said, “In the middle of the season?”  Was told they could stop working at anytime!  This seems ludicrous to me. Our Roku devices are only a year old. I should not have to replace them to watch one App.

I was emailed a list of supported Roku model numbers.  I am not happy about this at all. I have a paid annual MLB.TV subscription.  My devices:  #Roku Express 4K+ (3941X2)  #Roku Express 4K (3942RA2)

From MLB.TV:

“ Supported Models: 3700X, 3710X, 3800X, 3810X, 3811X, 3900X, 3910X, 3920X, 3921X, 3930X, 3931X, 4200X, 4210X, 4230X, 4620X, 4630X, 4640X, 4660X, 4662X, 4800X, 5000X, 6000X, 7000X, 8000X, A000X, C000X, C000GB, D000X

Firmware: We recommend the most current firmware. To ensure your Roku® TV model or Roku® player has the latest firmware, go to settings > system > system update to check for an available system update. For Roku® TV the minimum Firmware is 11.5.”      

0 Kudos