Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: Sound issue - Can’t Hear Voices, Music Is OK

Hi @hope-hare

I hope you're doing well.

Could you tell us more about the issue you're experiencing? Aside from the two channels you mentioned, are you experiencing the audio problem on other channels? With more information, we can assist you further.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
steve04

I'm having the same issue - connected through an AVR, and everything works on previews (e.g., when selecting netflix and the short previews show when hovering on a show), but when selecting a show - on Netflix, Prime, Hulu, or Disney+, only background music plays and not the spoken audio. The center channel is working fine and receives audio, and the AVR is set to Dolby Digital (I've toggled between DTS, DD, 5-channel stereo, and others to troubleshoot with no luck). Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Ns865

I also have a similar issue but when I change the Roku Volume Mode to “leveling” it seems to allow the audio to work fully.  I am not convinced it is the roku, but not sure where else to look either.  AVR is Denon brand.  What I found was the center channel speaker wire was not fully connected, so hoping that was the final fix.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@Ns865 wrote:

I also have a similar issue but when I change the Roku Volume Mode to “leveling” it seems to allow the audio to work fully.  I am not convinced it is the roku, but not sure where else to look either.  AVR is Denon brand.  What I found was the center channel speaker wire was not fully connected, so hoping that was the final fix.

Yes, if the center channel isn't connected, the AVR needs to be set to phantom center or you don't get the center channel, which is where voices almost always come from.

Also be aware that if you use the volume leveling mode on the Roku, you only get two channel output. The lack of voices would tell me the AVR was in an audio mode to simulate 5.1, or at least adding a center channel. I suggest not using the volume leveling in the Roku, and instead use any volume leveling within the AVR itself. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
ClickChick

I just started having this problem. I will be in the middle of watching a recording and the voice will go out.  I can hear background noise and music but the voices are not there or mumbled.  It seems randon and happens usually after pausing or FF through commercials.  I try to exit the show and renter, and then exit the app (DirecTv stream) and go back in but that doesn't resolve it.  I have found that if I restart my Roku and then go back into the app the problem is resolved.  It is good that I can get past the issue but it is a royal pain to do so.

0 Kudos
djohnk

Thanks, had that exact problem, and sure enough one of the wires on the center channel wasn't insterted completely.  Took me days of changing setting on TV, ROKU, and AMP and it was something that simple!

0 Kudos