Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SssGraccc

Sound issue - Can’t Hear Voices, Music Is OK

My Roku was working fine but turned on a movie and all the background music plays and sounds just fine, but you can’t hear anything when the characters speak.

roku is running through a receiver. Changed to new HDMI cable. I’m not technically savvy so I can’t figure it out

0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Sound issue - Can’t Hear Voices, Music Is OK

Since you're connected to an AVR, I think we can isolate this. Most online content from sources like Netflix or Amazon Prime (and others) is is in 5.1 surround, almost always Dolby Digital+. Music, ambient sounds, and anything off screen will come from the left/right front/rear speakers. However, almost all dialog will come from the center speaker. It sounds like your center speaker might have become disconnected from the AVR. Or perhaps you don't have a center speaker, but you haven't told the AVR it doesn't have one. In that case, the AVR sends the center sound to the left/right front speakers to create a "phantom" center speaker. 

But this is almost assuredly something not correct with your AVR. The Roku is simply sending all audio to the AVR, and has no audio processing itself. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
BeverlyBS

I have the same issue with a Vizio soundbar.  I have checked the soundbar and it has a center channel.  I have contacted Vizio and since the sound works fine with everything but Prime movies, they say the problem is not in the soundbar.  

0 Kudos
Bodey7

I am having the exact same issue. It’s not my speaker because I can go back to the previous episode and all is working fine and then once it goes to the next episode all of a sudden I can’t hear any voices (but can hear the sounds effects just fine). 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Bodey7

Thanks for the post.

Is this issue happening on a specific channel or does this happen regardless the channel you are watching?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RB123

Same issue here on Sharp Roku TV.

For example: Season one of a Prime series is fine.  Individual speakers are fine.   The generic video overview with voice over commentary is fine.  You hear the music and the voice.  

But in Season two:  The generic video overview with voice over commentary is not good.  You hear the music but not the voice.  When it goes back to an individual speaker or interview all is good again.

This only happens with Prime series.  Is it a Prime production or might I have a setting to tweak? 

Richard

0 Kudos
RB123

Only happens on Prime and not every series. 

Richard

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

If it's only happening with Prime, and only specific titles, it's not a Roku issue. Prime has something amiss with their stream, either the media itself has a bad audio track or there's an issue with their streaming encoder. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@RB123

Thanks for the post.

As @atc98092 mentioned, for more information about that channel's content and functionality, you'll want to contact the channel provider support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

You can reach Prime Video support here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=G9SY6AQJV45JFMET

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
hope-hare

It isn't just on Prime for me, also on Disney. I am ready to return the Roku Ultra and return to using the old Roku device that does not have this problem. 

Thanks,

Hope

0 Kudos