Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gdboudreaux
Reel Rookie

Re: Sound cutting out periodically

Jump to solution

My sound just started cutting out for two to 3 seconds every couple of minutes.  I have had the ultra for a couple of years.  The issue started two days ago. I switched to pass through on settings and switched hdmi cables.  I have turned system off and rebooted.  Issue is not resolved. Happens on all apps and live TV.  Please help.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Gdboudreaux

Thanks for the post.

Are they any audio products connected to your Home setup? What specific Roku model device are you using? 

For troubleshooting purposes, have you tried connecting the Roku device to another TV to see if you are experiencing the same issue?

Please keep us posted what you find out and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

This is absurd. I’ve seen you do the run around about 15 times in this thread. Folks have provided AMPLE troubleshooting and device related information. Submit an internal ticket with that info to help the company you work for get it fixed, or hound your leadership if you don’t have a clear way to do so. Then provide an update. Do something other than spieling the same script over and over. Do BETTER. This is plaguing numerous users globally within the device, and specifically with headphones. Troubleshooting has long been done. I’m happy to provide the info once again if you will actually do something with it. 

Jamesj2
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Agree Is about time roku do something about this it's getting worse on my roku express with the cut outs lasting longer and being more frequent. It used to be fine so must be an update. For the record I have tried all suggestions on here. New hdmi cable (twice), different hdmi socket, hard reset, reset tv, changed outputs to stereo and had a priest in to do an exorcism but no luck.... I also do not have a sound bar connected. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Jamesj2

Thanks for the post.

Have you already tried changing the wireless channel on your router to see if that helps the issue you are experiencing? For troubleshooting purposes, have you tried connecting to an alternate wireless network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you are seeing the same issue occur?

If you are still experiencing an issue, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 
With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Yogi28

Jump to solution

Danny, have you read any of the responses? I am having issues too. Please stop asking the same question and provide a solution. 

0 Kudos
kyden

Jump to solution

I've been having the same issues with my 4660x2 for like 6 months now. I've switched the sound to stereo, but instead of cutting out for a few seconds, it just sounds like I have blown speakers. I've fixed it by buying a new ultra and am I'm throwing this one in the trash. Guess the joke's on me, since roku got my money again. Bought May of 2021. Stupid me should have had it warrantied when it first started happening.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Yogi28

Thanks for the post.

It doesn't look like you've provided much information for us to further assist you with. Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What are the steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing? What troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to resolve the issue?
With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
bhasselbeck
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I am having all of the same issues as folks in this thread. Before posting I did thorough testing and I would like for the Roku team to explore more.

Here is my setup:

I have an AppleTV 4K (MXH02LL/A) which is outputting Dolby Digital 5.1 via HDMI to my projector (LG HU70LA) which also has the LG WebOS software on it providing Netflix, Prime, etc. From the projector, I have an optical cable (brand new, gold plated interface) running direct to my Roku Streambar (9102R). The Streambar has 4 Roku Wireless Speakers (‎9020R2) and a Roku Wireless Subwoofer (9201R2) paired with it to provide surround sound.

Every device except for the Roku is wired into my gigabit network with CAT6 wire. I tested connection speeds around 230 MB/s.

All of my cables are brand new. The HDMI is an ultra high-speed gold plated cable direct to the projector (Highwings Ultra High Speed HDMI Braided Cord-4K@120Hz, 8K@60Hz). The optical cable is a BlueRigger Digital Optical Audio Toslink Cable (Aluminum Shell, 24K Gold-Plated).

I have tested all of the following situations.

Roku Streambar to projector: Everything plays wonderful. But it has issues handling the 4K bandwidth because this is the only wireless component of the setup. I did purchase an ethernet dongle (Plugable USB 2.0 to Ethernet Fast 10/100 LAN) that provided a wired interface, the bandwidth improves and the 4K support is better.

AppleTV through the projector to the Roku Streambar: The audio will work great for roughly 2 minutes until it fades out for a brief second, and then fades out again for a brief second upon which it will return to perfect clarity for 10-15 mins. This will repeat every 5-10 mins for the entirety of the viewing experience.

LG Projector through the Roku Streambar: The same issue as the AppleTV. I would watch Netflix with Dolby Atmos or Dolby Digital 5.1. The audio will work great for roughly 2 minutes until it fades out for a brief second, and then fades out again for a brief second upon which it will return to perfect clarity for 10-15 mins. This will repeat every 5-10 mins for the entirety of the viewing experience.

For the AppleTV through the projector to the Roku Streambar and LG Projector through the Roku Streambar test scenarios, I tested changing the audio stream from the LG projector to the Roku Streambar to PCM/Passthrough/Bitstream. With every variation of audio interfacing, the drop out occurs. I confirmed this is not an issue with the AppleTV or the projector as I've used the same cables and played the device(s) through a different sound bar.

My conclusion: The Roku Soundbar is likely receiving an encoded signal (dolby digital or similar) from the Toslink optical cable and is decoding it regularly but has a hiccup every now and then where the sound resets or recycles the signal. 

This is 100% a Roku software issue.

I would expect the Roku Streambar (marketed as a soundbar with a Roku interface to it) would be able to handle the very basic signals from my devices. And, given the fact that it's a surround sound setup, it should be a basic aspect of the technology.

Jamesj2
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi Danny,

Apologies for delayed response. We had a lightning storm that destroyed the TV so new TV now no sound cutting out issues with the roku.... 

Not a great solution for the others on this thread. I did read that there may be a compatibility issue with the frequency of the outputs from modern devices into older hdmi sockets. 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.