Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wordup

Sound cutting out

Roku Ultra. Every few minutes, the sound is completely muted for about 2 seconds. 

It's very annoying and frustrating. How can this be fixed?

80 REPLIES 80

Re: Sound cutting out

Same issue here for several days.  Played with the settings, restarted, etc and it continues.  Had this issue before a year or so ago, which was finally fixed.  

0 Kudos
Joe1977
Reel Rookie

I have been having the same issue since I got my Roku Ultra. The sound cuts out for about 3 seconds every few minutes 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Hello @Joe1977

Thanks for posting here in the Community!

Could you tell us more about the issue you're running into? Does it only occur on a specific channel or across other channels installed on your Roku device? 

With more information, we will be able to assist you further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@Joe1977 wrote:

I have been having the same issue since I got my Roku Ultra. The sound cuts out for about 3 seconds every few minutes 

If you have the 4800 (2020 Ultra), try changing your audio output:  Settings/Audio/HDMI=Auto passthrough

Joe1977
Reel Rookie

Thank you! That seems to have worked!

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Good to hear (pun intended) - Roku made very poor decisions for its default settings for the 4800: 

In order to promote their "new" Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos capabilities they made "HDR Always on" the default which forces DV always on for supported systems, and then they made "Auto detect" (which should be named "Auto convert" or "Auto transcode") the default which forces DA always on for supported systems.

To be fair to Roku, all their competitors did/do the same with their devices with similar capabilities, and for the same braindead "lets market to the already sold!" reasons.

In the end it creates confusion, frustration, and issues for consumers who reasonably think something is wrong with their HT setup, not realizing in fact its poorly chosen default settings in their new device.

bytor72

Re: Sound cutting out Nothing Fixes

Changing the audio to pass through did not resolve for me. The issue with sound cutting out for a couple seconds still occurs.
I've done everything I can think of to resolve. I've set to factory and reinstalled apps. I've then done system restart. I can't seem to get this issue resolved and Roku CS hasn't helped. Was just chatting with them and the guy disconnected me. Tried to reconnect and they are closed.
Really don't know what to do at this point.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Sound cutting out Nothing Fixes

@bytor72

Thanks for the post. I'm sorry to hear about the experience—that's not what we aim for.

It looks like our Support team reached out to you to assist further. We would recommend continuing to work with them as they would best be able to help you moving forward.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Soundcuttingout
Reel Rookie

Re: Sound cutting out all the time

I’m going to throw this Roku stick out the window. The sound is always cutting out. All apps at different times. Had a Rolu before the stick and it never happened. I’m done with it