Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
McBobaks
Channel Surfer

Screen goes dim, graphics overlay during pause on Crave

When I pause a program streaming on Crave to see something on the screen better, the screen goes a bit dim, and the player controls overlay cannot be cleared away. Many people pause a show so they can see something more clearly on the screen, so having no way of returning the screen to its original brightness and clearing the screen of the controls overlay is very frustrating. It shouldn't be doing that in the first place, but as it does, there should at least be an exit type button like on other remote controls. The dimming doesn't seem to happen for shows on Netflix, or Amazon, but the overlay happens with no way of clearing it.

Edit: This does not happen using Apple TV, just Roku.

Roku Streambar Model 9102CA
Serial Number YL00A3134043
Software version 11.5.0 Build 4312-95
Device ID 2C115A134043

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Screen goes dim, graphics overlay during pause on Crave

Hi @McBobaks,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku Community!

We apologized for the inconvenience. We would like to know how to identify and resolve the playback issues you are experiencing with Crave TV.

We recommend starting here to troubleshoot channel issues: Follow these steps in order:

1. Navigate to the channel tile on the Roku home screen, press the * key on your remote, and choose 'Remove channel'.
  2. Next, restart your device from Settings>System>Power>System restart (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step).
  3. After your Roku device restarts, visit the Roku Channel Store and add the channel again.

If the issue persists, please refer to the support article here for additional troubleshooting steps: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support

Please try doing this and see if it helps with what you're experiencing.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
McBobaks
Channel Surfer

I tried that and it didn't work. It only happens when I pause, so restarting and reinstalling isn't the type of solution that would work here, because everything else is fine. I tried doing this on Crave using Apple TV and it did not dim. It only seems to do it with Roku, and only with Crave, not other streaming services.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about. As you can see, the screen gets dim when on pause, and there is no way to get rid of the play controls overlay. Hitting backspace or home just takes it out of the show entirely. There is no exit button like on other remotes, where the show will still be paused, but the overlay will disappear.

PXL_20230309_182045796_2.jpg

PXL_20230309_182049067.jpg

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

That overlay should go away in a few seconds.  You can try pressing Back on your remote to see if it clears, but that may exit the video you're watching.  The default behavior is for the overlay to clear after a few seconds, so if it doesn't it's something Crave is doing and only they can fix it.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
McBobaks
Channel Surfer

Overlay does not go away unless show is playing. Keeping the show on pause keeps the screen dim and the overlay on.

Talked to Crave TV about this on a daily basis over the course of a week, and it turns out it is a function of their TV app, but only on Roku. The Crave app does not do this on Apple TV. For whatever reason, the developers have written the code to make the screen go dim and the overlay to stay on while the show is paused, only when using a Roku Streambar.

The problem is that Crave TV is the channel with all the new Star Trek and other Sci-Fi shows, shows which are filled with visual easter eggs that people usually try to see more clearly by rewinding and pausing.

Perhaps Roku could convince Crave to get rid of this unwanted feature, and/or they could build in an on-screen exit button that clears the overlay and re-lights the screen without exiting the show itself?

0 Kudos
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Hello @McBobaks

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

Channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel developer themselves. We'd recommend continuing to follow up with Crave support team to see if they have any additional settings or options within their device that may allow the functionality you are looking for.

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
McBobaks
Channel Surfer

I will, of course, but Crave would probably listen more to Roku than me. Roku has a lot more sway than I do.

0 Kudos