Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jsteiny
Reel Rookie

Screen blacks out for 2-4 seconds on Prime and YouTube but not other apps

Jump to solution

When using Prime Video and YouTube, the screen goes black for 2-4 seconds and then comes back, repeatedly. It seems to happen when you move to the right or left, and does not happen on all screens at all times. For example, when on the home screen on the main image, the image is fine. When you move down to look at episodes for a particular show, it happens with every click and you have to wait for the pic to come back between each click. It does not happen when using Netflix, YouTubeTV, Disney, or Max. This is exclusive to certain apps so to me that means its not the TV or the connection of the HDMI. I've removed and reinstalled the apps and no change. This started about 3 months ago. Anyone have this issue? More importantly, a solution to fix? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jsteiny
Reel Rookie

Re: Screen blacks out for 2-4 seconds on Prime and YouTube but not other apps

Jump to solution

The resolution for me was to change the display refresh rate. Once I did that, the problem went away. Followed the instructions on this page

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

It may be because of the auto-adjust display refresh rate setting.  Try disabling it.

How to change the display refresh rate to match the native format of each movie, video or TV show | ...

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
MissMyBike
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Exactly the same here. So I restarted the Roku, but it did the same but less frequently. The Roku is on a smart TV with prime already active on the TV itself. So I switched the Prime from the Roku to the TV & there were no issues. It seems the problem is on Roku, but I hesitate going nuclear.

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @MissMyBike,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We're sorry to hear about the playback issue with the channel. Thanks for sharing. In some cases, that resolves the issue. Make sure you restart your Roku device before adding the channel back in to ensure the process is successful. Here are the steps you can follow:

1. Remove the channel: Highlight the channel tile on your home screen and press the Star button to open the options menu. Select Remove channel and confirm.
    • Note: If you remove a subscription channel billed to your Roku account, you must cancel the subscription before seeing the Remove Channel option. For help identifying this type of subscription channel, read the detailed article about removing a channel.
  2. Restart your Roku device: If reaching the power cord to unplug your Roku device is inconvenient, you can restart the device from the settings menu. Go to Settings > System > PowerSystem Restart > Restart. (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step).
  3. Reinstall the channel: After your Roku device restarts, visit the Roku Channel Store and add the channel again.
    • Note: If you add a subscription channel billed to your Roku account, you must re-subscribe.

For more references on how to troubleshoot any channel playback issues, you can visit our Support page.

Please keep us posted regarding the behavior you are experiencing, and we will be more than happy to continue assisting you further.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jsteiny
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

The resolution for me was to change the display refresh rate. Once I did that, the problem went away. Followed the instructions on this page

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @yesmahnoor,

Thank you for posting here in the Roku Community!

We understand you are also having the same issue as the ones on the thread. We'll be glad to further assist you. Have you tried the troubleshooting steps and suggestions provided above by @RokuJechealR and @jsteiny?

Please give it a try and let us know how it goes. We'll be waiting for your feedback.

Kind regards,                                                                                                                                    Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos