Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Swax13
Channel Surfer

SGEYR HDMI Switch issue with Roku Box

Jump to solution

A streaming device works through this hdmi switch box but Roku does not. Either it’s a no power error on the TV, or when I occasionally get the Roku  signal through the TV it carry’s visual static. Changing hdmi port position in the switch box does not help. Alternate Streaming box works instantly in any port. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Swax13
Channel Surfer

Re: SGEYR HDMI Switch issue with Roku Box

Jump to solution

Setting the Roku Display to 1080p did not solve the issue. I did a factory reset of the TV and then set the Roku Display to manual 4K 60fps TV and amazingly that seems to have worked. I don’t have the knowledge to understand why but passing this along. Looks like the hdmi cables and switch box work fine now with both streaming devices. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Swax13

Thanks for your post. 

Could you tell us how are you powering your Roku device? Is it connected to the USB port of the TV or to a wall outlet? In some cases, the USB power provided by the TV is not sufficient to power the device. Even though your Roku device may appear to be working, running with insufficient power can lead to instability, crashing, and other unpredictable behavior.

Using the included power cord and power adapter, we suggest plugging your Roku into a working power outlet in the wall. Powering it through a power outlet in the wall has the additional advantage that your Roku player will not need to power up every time you turn on your TV. This means your Roku player will be up and running faster than it would be connected to a TV.

Does this clear up the issue you are seeing? Keep us posted. 

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Swax13 

What are the model numbers of the SGEYR Switch and also the Roku device? (or at least a link to the HDMI switch).

Try powering both the devices with their power adapters.  Make sure the switch is connected to wall power with its adapter (if capable, but not equipped with adapter, use the appropriate adapter, usually 5 volt).  Same for the Roku device (5volt, 1 amp).  Some switches can use power from the device, and vice versa. Some cannot. Powering both devices seperately will eliminate the power supply issue as a culprit.

Regarding the static, if not contributed to the power supply issue, see if you have a NTSC/PAL selector on the switch and try toggling it. 

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Swax13
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Power is supplied via an AC Wall Outlet for all devices.. I’ve got this to work (some what) through the hdmi switch. I had to run a hdmi cable diagnostic from the TV. The TV continues to say I need a higher performance hdmi cable. I have pretty consistent static or fuzz in the black range.  And it lags every once in a while. Can you suggest the proper hdmi cable and if it might resolve these issues?

0 Kudos
Swax13
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Model number of the SGEYR hdmi switch box is SG-4k501.  The Roku Model is 4660X2

i have the power issue resolved. The static or fuzz on the blacks is still a problem. Can’t determine if it’s an hdmi cable issue or the switch box. I did not have that issue when the Roku ran direct to the TV. I do not seem to have that issue with an alternate streaming device that also runs through the switch. Same hdmi cables so not sure. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@Swax13 

I am thinking it may be the HDMI version and included HDCP version (the content protection scheme) of this switch that may be giving you issues with the Ultra 4660.

Is the message you are receiving being produced by Roku re: the need for a better cable to receive a better picture?  Does it look similar to this message from this Roku support article regarding HDCP 2.2 - https://support.roku.com/article/230317588?

----

If so, and you are trying to watch 4k/HDR content, the HDMI 1.4 (HDCP 1.4) may be the culprit and the Ultra should default to 1080.  Try lowering the resolution in the Roku settings to 1080p and see if that helps with the static/fuzziness.  Settings/Display Type/1080p.  [do not use autodetect, manually select 1080p).

If the above resolves your issue, then you can try looking at the the SGEYR HDMI switches that supports HDMI 2.0 (HDCP 2.2) if needing higher resolutions.  These will be backwards compatible with HDMI 1.4, but also support the newer standards.

This is the link to to SGEYR store on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/E84DDB38-7327-462D-98A0-8FE2E323BBBB?ingress=2&visitId=0594329a-e...

(just look at the HDMI switches that indicate HDMI 2.0 (HDCP 2.2).  They have one for 19.99, 23.99, and 45.99.

-----

If the above did not resolve your issue, try using any 4k HDMI cable. (ie.  https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-High-Speed-HDMI-Cable-Black/dp/B08BS29VG4/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=hd...).  Don't bother spending a bunch of money on a HDMI cable.  Many inexpensive ones will work just fine for Roku devices. (some very cheap ones may trigger some HDCP errors but since you are not currently experiencing that, I wouldn't worry about it at this point.)

Also post the model number of your TV if you are still having issues after trying the above so we have complete understanding of your setup, what type of content (display resolutions and channels/apps you are trying to watch as well).  Also post a screenshot of the message you are receiving if it does not match the Roku message indicated earlier in the thread.  

0 Kudos
Swax13
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you. I’ll try and digest this and apply, and also send a screen shot of the hdmi cable error message. I believe that message is coming from the TV. But not 100% sure. 

The TV info is below

Samsung - 70” Class 7 Series; LED 4K UHD Smart Tixen TV

Model: UN70TU700BXZA/WXZA

Sku: 6429416

steve

0 Kudos
Swax13
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Setting the Roku Display to 1080p did not solve the issue. I did a factory reset of the TV and then set the Roku Display to manual 4K 60fps TV and amazingly that seems to have worked. I don’t have the knowledge to understand why but passing this along. Looks like the hdmi cables and switch box work fine now with both streaming devices. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@Swax13 

Good to hear you got it resolved and thanks for updating the thread on what you did.  👍

Out of curiosity, does the sticker on your switch say it is HDMI 1.4 or 2.0?

0 Kudos
Swax13
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

HDMI 1.4 4K Ultra HD. 

The Static remains gone. Still having two very intermittent issues. Screen goes black for 1-2 Sec every once in a while. And then streaming continues.  Is that a lag issue? 

Also lost the Audio a couple of times. Had to shut down the Roku and restart streaming to resolve it. 

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos