Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lgreenan

Roku channel will not play any shows

When I select the Roku channel to watch a show and hit play, the show doesn’t start but goes right back to where I started. Wanting me to hit play again.  Roku channel NOT working! I’ve restarted the Roku device, I’ve uninstalled and installed the Roku channel app. Nothing!

20 REPLIES 20
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku channel will not play any shows

Hi @Lgreenan,

Greetings from the Roku Community!
We understand you're having a problem with the Roku channel since it was not working. We're happy to help you further. May we know what Roku device you are using right now? (Roku Express, Roku streaming stick, Roku Ultra, Roku streambar, Roku TV-Specify) Does it work previously?

We'll wait for your response.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
PrinceLH
Streaming Star

Seems to be happening to a number of people.  It's been 2 months for me and they keep kicking out tickets as they investigate.  All 4 of my units are having the same issue.  Time that Roku fixes this issue for the growing number of subscribers.

Krissybabe73
Binge Watcher

Absolutely time they fix it, I've got the same issue! 

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @PrinceLH @Krissybabe73,

Thanks for reaching out here in the Roku Community!

We are currently aware, and our engineering team has been investigating this issue closely. In the meantime, please help us with the required details regarding the issue you've encountered. Kindly provide the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version. (These can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  • What channel and what version/build is the channel that is having the issue? (This can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button).
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs. (When you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID).
  • A photo or video clip referring to the issue,

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
kirinir
Reel Rookie

Device model - 4660RW - Roku Ultra

Serial Number - YJ00DA508567

Device ID - CS488D508567

Software OS - 12.5.5 Build 4174-46

Channel - Roku channel only - version 9.3 build 10

Tracker ID - 67-038-833

Process to repeat/what happens

Open roku channel

go to show/movie/etc

Select either resume or play

Screen goes black (like it's about to start playing) for 1s (at most)

Then you're right back onto the about show/movie with the same play options

All other channels/apps work fine without issue - just content on the Roku Channel that this occurs

I've tried removing the channel and adding it back, removing it for several days, etc. All with no success. This has occurred for probably 2-3 months now

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @kirinir,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We appreciate you providing your device information and for taking troubleshooting steps to try to resolve the issue.

In addition to that, we would recommend trying to connect your Roku device to an alternative wireless network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you are still experiencing the same issue. If the issue persists, please provide the remaining information that we need:

Please keep us posted on what you find out. Your patience and understanding in the meantime are much appreciated.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Krissybabe73
Binge Watcher

When I launch Roku Channel and choose a movie, the Movie synopsis screen comes up, I then click play and the movie synopsis screen just refreshes instead of playing movie. I also have a Roku/Screambox & Roku/Sudder subscriptions and the exact same thing is occurring with those channels. This happens for EVERY movie on Roku. So at this point NOTHING will play. My paid subscriptions that aren't Roku channels all work fine, Max, discovery, Paramount etc. 

I have tried lots of troubleshooting options. Restarted the device among many others, I can't remove the cannel and reinstall as it's the Roku channel itself with the issue and there is no option to do that on the device or via online.

DEVICE 1

Device model: 3941X - Roku Express 4K+

Serial number: X01600T1G5DV

Software version: 12.5.0 - build 4178-CR

Device ID: S07P4261G5DV

Issue with Roku channel: version 9.3 - build 10

Issue with Roku/Shudder channel: version 9.3 - build 10

Issue with Roku/Screambox channel: version 9.3 - build 10

DEVICE 2

Device model: 3941X2 - Roku Express 4K+

Serial number: X022006P1SNG

Software version: 12.5.0 - build 4178-E4

Device ID: S0HAK2CP1SNG

Issue with Roku channel: version 9.3 - build 10

Issue with Roku/Shudder channel: version 9.3 - build 10

Issue with Roku/Screambox channel: version 9.3 - build 10 

20240130_081948.jpg20240130_081845.jpg

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

@Krissybabe73,

Thanks for the update!

We're sorry for the late response and for the delay in our solution to this.

We'd like to know if you have already tried a mobile hotspot or any alternative network to see if that makes a difference.

But if the problem persists, please share with us the additional information requested by @RokuJechealR.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
kirinir
Reel Rookie

Local network isn't going to be the problem. You have a number of people all over who are having the same issue reported time and time again....

Van Veen Beheer B.V.

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.