Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hobbsrayle
Reel Rookie

Roku channel freezes on commercial's last frame Roku Express

I own a Roku Express 3930X, Software version 12.5.0-build 4169-AE, Device ID S008305XE283. When watching shows on Roku channel, everything freezes when returning from a commercial back to the program, showing the last frame of the commercial. I have retstarted the Roku, both via the menu and unplugging and waiting a bit. I have checked for software updates. I have tossed the Roku channel app, then restarted the Roku, then re-installed the Roku app. I have reset to factory settings, redoing all my channels and log-ins. This last step at least gave me one streamed show before it started freezing again. I have spent quite a few hours reading on line and trying things. Is there any reason not to use my 3 lb sledge hammer on it?

46 REPLIES 46
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku channel freezes on commercial's last frame Roku Express

Hi @hobbsrayle,

Welcome to the Roku Community!
We would be more than happy to look further into this issue but will need more details. Can you please provide us with the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
  • Could you send us a photo or video of your running issue?

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
gvh8717
Reel Rookie

I am having the same issue with commercials freezing on only the roku express running version 12.5.  I have 2 other express devices running version 12.0 and it does not happen on those other 2 devices running 12.0.

Is there a way to rollback to version 12.0 on this device.  If not, what are you people doing to correct this problem?

hobbsrayle
Reel Rookie

As I said in my original post, I own a Roku Express 3930X, Software version 12.5.0-build 4169-AE, Device ID S008305XE283. When watching shows on Roku channel, everything freezes when returning from a commercial back to the program, showing the last frame of the commercial. I have retstarted the Roku, both via the menu and unplugging and waiting a bit. I have checked for software updates. I have tossed the Roku channel app, then restarted the Roku, then re-installed the Roku app. I have reset to factory settings, redoing all my channels and log-ins. This last step at least gave me one streamed show before it started freezing again. I have spent quite a few hours reading on line and trying things. Is there any reason not to use my 3 lb sledge hammer on it?

The serial number is X004002XE283. The problem channel is the Roku channel (Version 9.3 - build 10). I was unsuccessful at getting the Tracker ID. Maybe I should have said "stuck" instead of "frozen". The rewind, pause/play, forward keys do not respond; the back and the forward buttons do not respond. However, the home button takes me back home so I can't get the tracker id with the 5 press approach. The basic flow of the issue is play a show, at the first commercial break it's stuck on the last frame. The only thing I can do his hit back and resume play. At that point I have to go through another full set of commercials. Then it returns to my program, but it's the same issue at the next commercial break. Really, really annoying. Any help would be great. I have already even done a factory reset.

RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @gvh8717 @hobbsrayle,

Thanks for the update! We'd like to know if connecting your devices to an alternative network, such as a mobile hotspot helps relieve the issue.

Give it a try and let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
hobbsrayle
Reel Rookie

Unfortunately, my recent new phone brought in a new plan with no personal hotspot. I don't have another network to test with. If it adds to the discussion, I do have another Roku device - Roku Premiere on the same network with the same 12.50 version that works as it should. I think this is dragging on too long and I should just buy another kind of streaming device.

LH2176
Reel Rookie

I've been having the same problem with the Roku channel for about 2 weeks. I have sent several posts and no reply that fixes the problem.

how do we contact Roku and tell them what's going on? This is very frustrating enough to make me go buy a fire stick.

LH2176
Reel Rookie

Tried all of the above problem solves. However, none of them worked.

How do we contact Roku directly to get them to fix this problem it's been 2 weeks now?

should I just go buy a fire stick?

RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Welcome, and thank you for posting here in the Roku Community, @LH2176.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, and we sincerely regret any trouble and inconvenience this may have caused you. 

May we first know if you have connected your Roku streaming device to an alternative network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if the issue will still occur? If so, and to no avail, we highly recommend providing us with the information that @RokuJohnB requested so we can forward this to the appropriate Roku team for additional reinforcement. 

Please make sure to include the Tracker ID.

We'll be looking forward to your response as we are more than eager to help you with your concern.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
DonnaWho
Reel Rookie

I just bought a roku le and it's doing the same thing,  and NO, I don't have a Hotspot I can use.

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.