Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Karma88

Re: Roku cannot launch any streaming services but internet otherwise working

Jump to solution

I have done this several times and Roku is still not loading any apps. 

RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Karma88,

A warm welcome to the Roku Community!

We understand you are having an issue accessing your apps/channels. We would like to know how to identify and resolve this matter. But we need more details; please refer to these questions:

• What Roku device are you using right now that has an issue? (e.g., Roku Express, Roku Streambar, Roku TV—specify TV)
  • Are you encountering any error codes or messages? If so, can you send us a photo?
  • What steps have you taken so far to resolve the issue?
  • Have you tried connecting your Roku device to an alternative wireless connection, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you are still experiencing the same issue?

For troubleshooting purposes, please restart your Roku device if you have trouble streaming. By navigating to Settings > System > Power > System restart (if you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step). If a restart doesn't solve the issue, please disconnect your device from power for a moment, then plug it back in and try again.

Feel free to keep us posted regarding the behavior you are experiencing, and we'll continue assisting you further.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
medlibrarian
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

This is now happening to me. On two Rokus. One is right next to the router. I have rebooted the router multiple times. Restarted roku multiple times using the steps on this post. All my other items on the wifi network are fine. It sees the correct network. It will not connect on either Roku.

Roku premiere for both

RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @medlibrarian,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

Thanks for sharing the connectivity trouble you've been experiencing with your Roku device and taking steps to resolve it.

Please be advised that Roku Premiere is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4GHz spectrum. Ensure that your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network to which the device can connect. You can check your device model by navigating to Settings > System > About.

You can also try configuring your router and using wireless channels 1, 6, or 11, which are the preferred channels in North America. Each time you change the wireless channel, you will likely need to apply/save changes before you are prompted to restart the router.

If you need help adjusting your router settings, we recommend contacting your internet service provider's customer support team. They have the expertise to help configure your wireless gateway and may be able to resolve this issue.

In addition, if you are getting an error code or message, refer to this link for common Roku error codes and their recommended actions: How to connect your Roku device to the internet using Wi-Fi or Ethernet.

Feel free to keep us posted on how it goes, and we'll continue assisting you from there.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
medlibrarian
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Can you explain why this is suddenly an issue? They've both been working fine for years. 

RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @medlibrarian,

Thanks for the response!

In this matter, it might be a router update. There are some router setting issues that can prevent establishing Roku Wi-Fi connections. And some of them can be set by recently-reported router updates.

These have primarily been reported with routers supplied by internet providers (Comcast/Xfinity, Cox, and AT&T so far). Still, it's possible they could also occur with other internet providers or user-owned routers that have received similar updates.

We hope this helps.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
medlibrarian
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thanks for trying to help me. I will noodle around with this a little more tonight, but I kind of think, despite being a loyal Roku customer for years, that it may be time for me to find another streaming device. I was using both Rokus just fine yesterday. There weren't any router updates. And then suddenly they stopped working. I'm not the only one this is happening to. It's very very frustrating.

RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @medlibrarian,

We appreciate your cooperation!

We apologize for the inconvenience you have gone through. That's not what we aim for.

For troubleshooting purposes, we recommend connecting your Roku device to an alternative wireless network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you are still experiencing the same issue.

Please keep us posted.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
SuspectResidue
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I know this is an older comment, but I've been experiencing similar issues. First I had a power outage, then apps would get odd errors, did a factory reset, couldn't update, I thought the thing was bricked. I did another factory reset and connected to a mobile hotspot instead. Updated and finished setup.

I jumped back on my home network and almost all of the issues were resolved except one. Anytime I try to remove an app I get an error message about not being online, then I launch and app and connect just fine. I jump back on my mobile hotspot and everything works fine.

I suspect my home IP is being blocked somewhere when connecting to a Roku or 3rd party service. I'm not running any sort of web filtering.

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @SuspectResidue 

Welcome to the Roku Community.

We understand the network connectivity issues you've experienced, including receiving an error code stating that your Roku device is not connected to the internet. We're here to assist you in resolving this issue. Please follow the troubleshooting steps provided below.

1. Press Home on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select System
  4. Select Power. If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.
  5. Select System restart

Once you've performed the steps above, your Roku device will complete a system restart and hopefully return to normal operation after a moment. If it does not, continue to the next section.

1. Press Home on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select Advanced system settings
  4. Select Network connection reset
  5. Select Reset connection

After the network reset is done, your Roku device will restart and you will need to return to the Settings menu and set up your wireless network again.

Additionally, we'd recommend restarting your router/modem to have optimal usage once its network refreshes.

Keep us posted on how this works.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.