Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
plutoaddict
Binge Watcher

Roku Ultra exits programs and returns to home screen

Problem just started this morning. Start playing a video on any app, Pluto, Amazon, Paramount doesn't matter, program will play for a few minutes and then exits to the Roku home screen.

Resetting/rebooting/unplugging the device does not help. Rebooting the modem does not help either.

Device: Roku Ultra 4660X, software version 12.5.0 build 4178-46, serial number YJ004H426798 on a LAN wired connection.

No problems prior to this morning.

16 REPLIES 16
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku Ultra exits programs and returns to home screen

Hi, @plutoaddict

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community.

We're sorry to hear about this issue, and we'd be more than glad to assist. We would recommend performing a complete reset to your Roku streaming device since this issue has occurred with multiple channels. Kindly be informed that factory resetting your Roku device would remove all your channels and will have to re-activate your Roku device once again.

For more information on how to factory reset your Roku device, please refer to this support article at How do I factory reset my Roku® streaming device?

Please keep us posted on what you find out.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jabguit
Reel Rookie

I'm having the very same issue right now with my Roku Stick since last night. Everything I've done (short of Factory Reset) has not resolved the issue.

Do I need to perform a Factory Reset?

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @jabguit,

Thanks for reaching us here in the Roku Community!

We are grateful that you shared your experience on this. Let's see if connecting your device to an alternative network like a mobile hotspot makes a difference.

Keep us posted!

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jabguit
Reel Rookie

no - I performed a "Factory Reset" and it seems to have worked.

0 Kudos
teppsn
Channel Surfer

Mine started doing the same thing after Roku released 12.5

I tried everything including a factory reset, nothing helped. I had a newer model that I had not used yet and switched out my older 48xx for the 2022 model. 

after going through the installation process and signing in on everything it solved the problem but then I noticed I was on software version 11.5, not 12.5. I wanted to not update to 12.5 as I’m 100% sure that’s the problem but it upgraded itself overnight and now ALL THE APPS POP BACK TO THE HOME SCREEN AFTER A FEW MINUTES OF PLAY BACK on the new device. 

suggesting that our network is the fault is actually very insulting. I’ve been using Roku devices since the first one was released ages ago and to suggest that it’s MY fault that YOUR software is scewed up is very offensive. Everything works fine on my Apple TV 4K so I’ll just use that until ROKU decides to stop insulting us all and provides an update that fixes this problem. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
teppsn
Channel Surfer

See my post above this one. 

device is 4802x Roku ultra

software 12.5.0 build 4178-C2

ID - SODA223863JO

0 Kudos
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hello! @teppsn,

Thanks for the post,

We have passed along your information to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further. Once more information is available, we will be sure to update this Community thread. 

We appreciate your patience and understanding in the meantime.

Thanks,

Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
ac77

Same issue here. Apps have been constantly crashing out to the Home screen since the last update, making my Roku unusable. Factory reset and alternative networks did not correct. Please roll back the update so we can actually use it again.

0 Kudos
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hello! @ac77,

A friendly welcome from the Roku Community!

Thank you for reaching out to us. We're pleased to assist.

We would be more than happy to look further into this issue but will need more detailed information. Can you please provide us with the following information: 

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)

Once we have this information, we will be able to investigate further.

Thanks,

Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos