Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GARoss
Binge Watcher

Roku Ultra 4802R with Dolby Digital issue. Please help.

Jump to solution

Just fired up our new Roku Ultra 4802R today and have a Dolby Digital issue. Please help.

My TV is a 2023 LG OLED77G3PUA

First, the Roku Ultra 4802R is replacing an AppleTV 4k that displayed all modes correctly, Dolby Digital, HDR and standard HD.

With the Roku Ultra 4802R there are three 4k display settings:

• Automatic 4k Dolby Digital
  • 4k Dolby Digital and HDR

With the first two setting EVERYTHING is in Dolby Digital. All standard HD video is displayed with Dolby Digital and looks horrible.

I would have guessed the second setting, 4k Dolby Digital and HDR, would auto detect Dolby Digital and HDR and set color correctly but it acts the same as the first setting Automatic 4k Dolby Digital.

If just 4k is selected nothing will detect 4k Dolby Digital and HDR

Need suggestions

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuEmmanuel-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku Ultra 4802R with Dolby Vision issue. Please help.

Jump to solution

Hi, @GARoss.

Thanks, and welcome to the Roku Community!

We understand that the Dolby Vision on your Roku is not working. We're here to provide the assistance you need. 

If your TV supports Dolby Vision and you see the message below, you may need to adjust a setting on your TV called FreeSync.

image.png

FreeSync is designed to enhance your experience with a connected game console (e.g., Xbox, PlayStation), but with some TV models, FreeSync may disable Dolby Vision. To correct this behavior, you need to adjust the settings on your TV to disable FreeSync on the HDMI port where your Roku player is connected.

If you have an LG TV, you can refer to the sample instructions below. However, the steps may vary from model to model and may change when TV software is updated. When in doubt, refer to the user manual or online documentation for your specific make and model.

LG: Go to Home > HDMI > Settings > Advanced > Picture > Additional Settings > FreeSync > Off > Restart.

For more information on troubleshooting Dolby Vision, check out this article: Why is 4K Dolby Vision not working on my Roku streaming player?

Let us know how this works.

All the best,
Emman

Emmanuel-D.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
GARoss
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution
Roku Ultra 4802R with Dolby Visionl issue. Please help.

Just fired up our new Roku Ultra 4802R today and have a Dolby Digital issue. Please help.

First, the Roku Ultra 4802R is replacing an AppleTV 4k that displayed all modes correctly, Dolby Vision, HDR and standard HD.

• Automatic 4k Dolby Vision

With the first two setting EVERYTHING is in Dolby Vision. All standard HD video is displayed with Dolby Digital and looks horrible.

I would have guessed the second setting, 4k Dolby Vision and HDR, would auto detect Dolby Digital and HDR and set color correctly but it acts the same as the first setting Automatic 4k Dolby Digital.

If just 4k is selected nothing will detect 4k Dolby Vision and HDR

Need suggestions

0 Kudos
RokuEmmanuel-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @GARoss.

Thanks, and welcome to the Roku Community!

We understand that the Dolby Vision on your Roku is not working. We're here to provide the assistance you need. 

If your TV supports Dolby Vision and you see the message below, you may need to adjust a setting on your TV called FreeSync.

image.png

FreeSync is designed to enhance your experience with a connected game console (e.g., Xbox, PlayStation), but with some TV models, FreeSync may disable Dolby Vision. To correct this behavior, you need to adjust the settings on your TV to disable FreeSync on the HDMI port where your Roku player is connected.

If you have an LG TV, you can refer to the sample instructions below. However, the steps may vary from model to model and may change when TV software is updated. When in doubt, refer to the user manual or online documentation for your specific make and model.

LG: Go to Home > HDMI > Settings > Advanced > Picture > Additional Settings > FreeSync > Off > Restart.

For more information on troubleshooting Dolby Vision, check out this article: Why is 4K Dolby Vision not working on my Roku streaming player?

Let us know how this works.

All the best,
Emman

Emmanuel-D.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@GARoss wrote:
Roku Ultra 4802R with Dolby Visionl issue. Please help.

First, the Roku Ultra 4802R is replacing an AppleTV 4k that displayed all modes correctly, Dolby Vision, HDR and standard HD.

• Automatic 4k Dolby Vision

With the first two setting EVERYTHING is in Dolby Vision. All standard HD video is displayed with Dolby Digital and looks horrible.

Go into the Settings/System/Advanced system settings. There's a setting that to turn off HDR/DV on at all times. Why Roku made that the default setting I have no idea, but turn it off and you'll only get HDR/DV with genuine content.

Just a quick comment: you alternated between saying Dolby Vision and Dolby Digital. I know you probably know it, but DV is video and DD is audio, two completely different things. 🙂

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.