Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Prime and Netflix crashing

Hi, Community users!

We appreciate you for bringing this to our attention. 

Rest assured that this has already been forwarded to our relevant team for review and provide you with the best resolution possible.

To those who experience the same playback issues with Netflix and/or the Prime app, kindly provide us the following details below:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and OS version. (this can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Tracker ID (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)

In the meantime, we appreciate you bearing with us as we work on this.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
TooTechnical
Streaming Star

So far this is the only thing that makes sense (re: markgeorg1234 about PC's over heating or being pushed beyond it's memory limits).

More than likely whatever brands are making ROKU TV's have certain specs they follow. Of course they have no reason to over build so they build it with the exact amount of ram ROKU says they need. More than likely Netflix (the biggest culprit) eats up this memory faster than most other apps. 

So how can ROKU address this issue when all these manufacturers followed ROKU's specs? They can't! They're certainly not going to do a major recall and this is certainly not a firmware fix. I doubt Netflix or any of the other apps will change their requirements for memory requirements.

So now what? Next step??

Oh, ROKU knows, they're hoping this fades away, and people just buys up all the inventory until they can make new TV's. 

If everyone here didn't already do it, they should have gone and written a review on their TV. I know when I did, I couldn't find any reviews on the subject (in Walmart anyway), so get moving if you didn't?

SPBero
Channel Surfer

Yes, you guys have nailed it. It's a memory issue. I don't think Prime or Netflix are going to modify their bloatware, so we either have to add physical memory (I don't know if that's possible on these Roku sets.) or bite the bullet and buy a new TV.

TylerTCL
Reel Rookie

I’m dismayed that TCL doesn’t test apps and updates before allowing them to be downloaded, or have resource limits that must be met.

I certainly won’t be purchasing another TCL television.

RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @TylerTCL,

We understand that you're having issues with your device.

Our team is currently aware of the issue and is undergoing an in-depth investigation regarding it. That being said, would you be so kind as to provide us with the following information?

• Roku device or TV model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button five times, followed by the Back button five times, and provide us with this ID).
  • Troubleshooting steps you have taken in an attempt to resolve the issue.

Once a few more pieces of information have been gathered, we will be able to pass them along to the appropriate support team to investigate further. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Sincerely,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
SPBero
Channel Surfer

Add Vudu and Paramount+ to the list of crashers. I think my TCL Roku TV has had enough.

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @SPBero

Thanks for posting, and welcome to the Roku Community.

We acknowledge your concern, and we'd like to gather more details regarding the issue you've encountered. May we what behavior the channels you've mentioned show? Also, what troubleshooting steps have you taken so far in an attempt to resolve the issue?

Please keep us posted.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
mph321

I'm also seeing this behavior with my 2 TCL Roku TV's.  Both the Netflix and Prime Video apps have crashed repeatedly.   I either get kicked back to the home screen, or the tv completely restarts.  Is there going to be a fix?  It seems to be a pretty widespread behavior with these TCL tv's.  It's starting to look like a memory limitation with these TVs running apps that are memory intensive.  

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Welcome and thank you for posting here in the Roku Community, @mph321!

Thank you for raising your concern with us. No worries! We're here to further assist you with this.

Before proceeding, may we know if this only happens on these specific apps? If so, what troubleshooting methods have you tried to try and resolve it?

Furthermore, our team is currently aware of the occurring issue with the Prime and Netflix apps. This case is currently under review and our team is finding the best resolution possible. Once we'll be notified of updates from the team, we will make sure to let the Community know.

Once again, your patience and understanding are highly appreciated.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Irony58
Streaming Star

I just ran across this topic in search of the same problem we're having. On both our TVs, a TCL 55S405, and an ONN (Walmart brand) 100012589. With us it's only Netflix giving us problems. When we start to watch a show, any show, we get things like video/audio freezing but closed captions continue running, Netflix crashing to the Roku home page, and sometimes the TV itself resets. This can happen 3 - 4 times before the show finally gets going. 

Once the show gets going smoothly for a couple minutes, it's usually good for the rest of the show, but occasionally, when we pause the show, we'll get those crashes when we resume.

I know it's not our wifi or internet connection because we have since changed from Xfinity to Fidium Fiber, so we have a completely new internet connection and router. We changed over for other reasons, but were hoping the Netflix situation would clear up as a side effect. And I haven't yet tried any of the potential solutions in this topic, as my wife is in the middle of a show (non-Netflix). But we're frustrated enough to quit Netflix over this.

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.