Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Paramount App will not rewind

Jump to solution

Sure, Roku could threaten them with removal, but then they would encounter the ire of users that want to use that provider. They are stuck without any real power to enforce such a threat, and the provider knows it. And Roku knows you (the customer) would simply move to another platform. As I said, they really have no power to make such a threat. 🙂

For that reason I use more than one platform. Roku is by far the simplest to use, and has plenty of providers to choose from. But when I run into technical issues with specific providers, I generally use a different platform, such as my Smart TV interface (although not very often for that one), or the Onn 4K streaming player I have. But in most cases I use an Nvidia Shield, because it still works the best for all of my ripped DVDs and Blu Rays. Nothing can touch the Shield for that content, and I can keep watching even if the Internet goes out. 😛

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Portalogem
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@bhaktaboy As I said in my post above (yours), I have a Roku Express (an older Plus model -- 3910RW) and I use the Paramount Plus app through my Roku (not the "Paramount Plus on the Roku" channel app which is different) and I have not experienced this issue when I last posted, and I'm still not experiencing this. I mainly use my Roku Ultra to watch Paramount Plus, but I just loaded up my Express, updated it, and played the CBS Evening News program and was able to rewind it just fine with both the left button and the rewind button on my Roku remote.

What complicates this issue is that I may have a different subscription than you since I have Paramount Plus with Showtime which has no commercial interruptions. Perhaps you have the Paramount Plus Essential subscription, meaning the rewind function could be clashing with the ad function and could potentially be causing the crash. This is unlikely because an update should have resolved this after a month, and if this still wasn't resolved, there should be multiple subscribers on this thread who are posting similar issues and there aren't. 

If you have the Paramount Plus with Showtime subscription and unless this involves your specific Roku model, this is probably not an error on Paramount Plus's end. Whenever I read about someone having a crashing issue with a Roku Express, I immediately think it's a power issue as I wrote in my above post on how to resolve this. 

You could try to create a new profile on Paramount Plus and see if this same issue occurs there, and if the new profile doesn't have this problem then call Paramount and let them know that your main profile is acting up. 

If none of the steps I provided above works for you, perhaps you'll need to hard reset your Roku to get this resolved. If that doesn't work (unless I think of something else to add), you could cancel Paramount Plus through where you're getting it and subscribe to Paramount Plus elsewhere as then you'd be using a different app and a different account on your Roku player. There are a few service providers to choose from when subscribing to Paramount Plus which shouldn't give you this same issue: for instance, Paramount Plus through the Paramount Plus channel app (unless this is what you're already subscribed to), the Roku channels (this is the only other provider listed that allows you to subscribe to the Essential plan), YouTube Primetime channels (through the Youtube channel app on your Roku -- no Essential plan), or Apple TV channels (through the Apple TV app on your Roku -- no Essential plan). With at least having a second option to add the Paramount Plus Essential plan (which costs the same), there is no reason why you should continue with the option that is causing you problems. However, if you're still having the same issue after subscribing elsewhere then it's most likely that your Roku is the culprit and not Paramount Plus.

In any case, hopefully using your Google Chromecast will resolve your issue if you don't want to switch subscriptions, but my advice is to keep your Roku Express because your Google device can also have issues at one time or another and you can then switch back to Roku if needed. I was also thinking of getting a different redundant streaming device, so I could quickly switch to it if I have any potential issues with Roku in the future such as if an app glitches or Roku decides to have a carriage dispute with a company (like what's happened before with Google and WB) and temporarily stops carrying those channel apps on their device, which could happen with any streaming device at one time or another. I used to be able to use my smart TV and Blu-Ray player as redundant streaming devices but they're now ancient, yet my Roku 3 which is just as ancient -- a decade old -- still updates to the newest OS and still works with all the channel apps I subscribe to which is a real testament to Roku. 

0 Kudos
bhaktaboy
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have a Roku LE right now. Had to throw away my old Roku Streaming Stick when it slowed down to unusable but it did last some years.

I have Paramount+ with Showtime as well. If I’m paying for a service and no commercials is an option, I always go no ads. The Paramount+ rewind crash happens on all profiles using the LE. I do have an old TiVo streaming box I can pull out of storage and fire up, but I’d rather Roku and/or Paramount just fix their dang app so I don’t have to switch for one app. If you go to Paramount+ subreddit, me and OP are not the only ones experiencing this on Roku. It’s one of their main advertised big name apps, Roku should figure it out.

rbennett99

Jump to solution

Same here. Roku express 3930X 12.5.5 Build 4171-AE

Aborts play and returns to P+ episode controls - I can only resume play or restart from the beginning to FF to where I want to go. 

0 Kudos
Portalogem
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Since others are experiencing this issue @bhaktaboy, it sounds like a bad update (like what happened with Max a while back), which I guess I was able to avoid since I rarely use my older Express model, and the only way this can be fixed is to wait until Paramount Plus can resolve this with a newer update that patches this (unlike a newer update that doesn't) if my prior suggestions don't help. Unless you're subscribing to Paramount Plus on the Roku Channel and not directly with the Paramount Plus stand-alone channel app, this isn't a Roku issue else I'd be experiencing this glitch as it seems to me to be a Paramount Plus update issue (through Paramount) to either newer Roku Express models (including your LE) or to all Roku devices that had this problematic update.

Unfortunately, no matter what platform you're on, channel glitches happen from time to time. I have found that most streaming services never seem to be all that helpful on the front end, so calling them usually is a complete waste of time -- especially after others have already called them, but they do always appear to resolve the issue after a while.

Since this isn't affecting all Roku users (much like what happened with Max), this unfortunately may take longer to resolve, but since it has been a month, it may resolve itself sooner rather than later. (Yet once the Max issue was resolved, I was still experiencing the glitch until I removed Max, restarted my Roku, and then re-added that channel, and so far I haven't experienced it again.)

After thinking more about purchasing a different streaming device, I wanted to add that the problem with doing this is that these issues can potentially exist across platforms (and the Max glitch happened across platforms), so even with a different device -- the rewind issue could potentially pop up.

The best thing to do right now until this is resolved is to just watch your Paramount Plus subscription through your TiVo streaming device.

But if you want to continue using your Roku, like I said before, since you subscribe to Paramount Plus with Showtime (*unless you're linking to this from a provider account) you have a ton of options, so you don't have to continue to deal with this glitch since you have the choice of canceling Paramount Plus through the stand-alone channel app (or wherever you're currently subscribed to it) and subscribe to Paramount Plus elsewhere. You should check to make sure your show is on the other provider app before switching, but it should be there, and the price is the same.

I didn't include Hulu or Amazon Prime Video Channels in that list in my prior post since that requires a base subscription plan, and I know at least with Hulu you would still need to link your account to the Paramount Plus channel app to get all the content Paramount Plus has to offer since with Hulu it's just a Showtime add-on much like Max is just an HBO add-on. I'm unsure if you would run into the same glitch by switching accounts since this could potentially be account-related, but since this is happening to more than one subscriber then that's unlikely.

After a couple of months, you can then switch back to see if the issue is resolved if you don't like subscribing through the other provider. I tend not to like subscribing to any other than the main provider (unless I can link the provider I'm using to the main channel app like I'm currently doing with Hulu) since I've noticed that others appear to lack certain content such as various movies, but I don't know if that holds true with shows.

I'm uncertain if this option is still available, but there are promo codes online that allow you to have a month's free trial to the Paramount Plus channel app -- even for returning subscribers, so in this way, you can easily check to see if the issue is resolved without having to pay for two subscriptions once your billing cycle ends with the one with the faulty rewind issue. Just make certain to cancel the subscription before the month's free trial ends so you're not then being charged for two subscriptions. The promo codes only work for the Paramount Plus stand-alone channel app and not with the other providers.

*Of course, switching providers wouldn't be an option if you're subscribed to Paramount Plus with Showtime through a linked provider account such as through a cable, satellite, or TV streaming subscription. If you are doing this, you can see if "toggling" the account helps, but I doubt it will since I just changed over from using Paramount Plus directly to using Paramount Plus through Hulu and I still am not experiencing this glitch. But it may still work: Go into your Paramount Plus account from a computer or smart device and unlink the provider, log out, then go to paramountplus.com/partner, re-link to your provider, and log back in. If it is a channel update glitch then this probably won't work. 

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Welcome and thank you for posting here in the Roku Community, @rbennett99!

We appreciate you reporting about the features of the Paramount Plus app not working. No worries! We're here to further assist you with this.

Can you please confirm if this is happening inside the standalone Paramount Plus app? If so, it will be highly effective to directly raise this concern to the channel provider themselves, which in this case, Paramount Plus' Customer Support as this is a feature issue inside their app. 

We hope you get everything sorted out soon and appreciate you bearing with us in the meantime. 

Happy Streaming!

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
LexWilder

Jump to solution

I have the same problem with mine. It’s quite irritating. It doesn’t happen on AppleTV. That’s why I don’t think contacting Paramount+ will help. 

LexWilder

Jump to solution

it may be that neither Apple nor Google validate channels. But Paramount+ works on them. it doesn’t work on Roku.

So… yeah.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

It doesn't matter if it works on a different platform. They are completely different apps written in a different programming language. Paramount is the one that has to fix their app for Roku devices. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
LexWilder

Jump to solution

Then ask them to.

0 Kudos