Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kem827
Reel Rookie

Paramount App will not rewind

Jump to solution

Any attempt to rewind on a program aborts the app. Restarting the app only returns the program to the place where the rewind attempt began. This problem occurs no matter the rewind method. It happens when pausing and tracking the program back. It happens when using the rewind button

The system is a 3930X, software ver 12.5.0 build 4178-AE.  Paramount plus ver 8.9, build 202312052

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Paramount App will not rewind

Jump to solution

Welcome and thank you for posting here in the Roku Community, @rbennett99!

We appreciate you reporting about the features of the Paramount Plus app not working. No worries! We're here to further assist you with this.

Can you please confirm if this is happening inside the standalone Paramount Plus app? If so, it will be highly effective to directly raise this concern to the channel provider themselves, which in this case, Paramount Plus' Customer Support as this is a feature issue inside their app. 

We hope you get everything sorted out soon and appreciate you bearing with us in the meantime. 

Happy Streaming!

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
38 REPLIES 38
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

You need to report that to Paramount. Roku does not create or support the functionality of 3rd party channels on their devices. And the only channels that are supported by Roku are "The Roku Channel" and "Roku Media Player". All other channels are provided and supported by someone else. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Portalogem
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I'm assuming you're referring to Paramount Plus? I tried to replicate this issue on my Roku Express, but I didn't have this problem. However, I have an older model and I may have a different subscription as I'm subscribed to Paramount Plus with Showtime. Although maybe you are writing about the Paramount channel that you authenticate through your Cable/Satellite/Streaming provider, and not the Paramount Plus channel.

In any case, it may not be a Paramount issue, but an issue with your Roku due to either a problematic update, a power issue, or it's just been on too darn long. A power issue or a Roku being on for several months can make the Roku Express act wonky.

The first thing to do is to go to the home screen and not on the screensaver, and then unplug it. Wait a couple of minutes. Plug it in.

If the issue is still happening, it may be a power issue:

Find a different USB cord and use that with your Roku, and then if that doesn't fix it, find a different USB power supply. If you're still having this issue, then it may be an update issue.

In this case:

Log out of Paramount.
Remove Paramount.
Make sure you're on the home screen and not on screensaver and then unplug your Roku.
Wait a couple of minutes.
Power on the Roku.
Add Paramount.
Hopefully, this fixes the issue.

0 Kudos
bhaktaboy
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have been having this problem for months with Paramount Plus app. Rewinding or hitting back ALWAYS crashes the app but only on Roku device. Works fine on laptop and mobile. On Roku, you literally just have to restart the episode and fast forward if you want to "rewind."

Reaching out to Paramount Plus isn't helpful, they just give basic troubleshooting as if it's not a problem built into the app itself. Roku needs to make sure the apps it offers on its platform actually function, or they should not host them in their marketplace to download. 

I'm switching to Google Chromecast soon and hoping that resolves it. Roku is just too glitchy lately. 

atc98092

Jump to solution

It is not incumbent on Roku to validate each channel that is allowed into the channel store. They only check that the channel meets the requirements they place on developers. Functionality within the channel is the sole responsibility of the channel provider. The same applies to the iTunes and Google Play stores. Neither Apple nor Google validate the way a channel works. As long as it meets the requirements of the platform provider, they are free to provide as little or as much functionality as the provider desires. 

Dan

0 Kudos
bhaktaboy
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Roku makes deals with Paramount and HBO and all these large companies to feature their apps so that they can offer their streaming content. The least Roku can do is advocate on behalf of their costumers. It is their responsibility ultimately to make sure that the big name apps they secured for their platform are functional. Roku should reach out to Paramount+ app developers on behalf of Roku customers. They would actually be listened to. 

atc98092

Jump to solution

@bhaktaboy wrote:

Roku should reach out to Paramount+ app developers on behalf of Roku customers. They would actually be listened to. 

That's certainly your opinion. But my guess is Paramount would listen politely then completely ignore them. My opinion is Paramount would care more hearing from the people that actually pay for their content, meaning the end users/subscribers. Your voice (and $$$) is more meaningful to them than one of their platform providers. 

Dan

0 Kudos
bhaktaboy
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Except they don’t. Try and reach out to them and see. Lmao. Roku has leverage since they actually have a deal with Paramount+. You honestly think Viacom cares about my $99 a year? 

atc98092

Jump to solution

I don't subscribe to them, so they naturally won't care what I say. 😄

But from you they are at least receiving $99 per year. They most likely pay Roku something, not receive money from them. If they pay Roku for any of the preprogrammed buttons on the remote, then they pay Roku a lot of money. 

Not disagreeing that many companies completely ignore their customer base. Streaming providers will always blame the platform any time they think they can make the complaint go away, at least from them. But as I stated, Apple and Google don't vet the functionality of the apps available in their stores either. And don't expect either company to advocate for you with an app provider either. All Google wants is your information to sell within their many information products. Apple at least attempts to protect your information a bit better. 

Dan

0 Kudos
bhaktaboy
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I just meant if Roku threatened to remove them from the platform, they would risk losing that $99 a year from not just me but from all Paramount+ subscribers that use Roku (which may actually light a fire under them to take some action). But you’re right that as long as they’re paying, Roku wouldn’t remove them, and I’m probably expecting too much of a company to think it would advocate for us. 😅

Once it starts to touch either Roku’s or Paramount’s bottom line, someone will listen. In the meantime, I’ll stop complaining. Happy streaming!