Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
deglaze
Reel Rookie

Old Roku device is frequently overheating

My Roku stick keeps overheating. I keep it UNPLUGGED from the power all the time not in use. The minute I plug it in and turn on the tv - it tells me within a few minutes that it is overheating. I know there must be a flaw in the stick; a defect that causes it to overheat ALL THE TIIME. I am looking to purchase a new Roku since this one is trashed. Why does Roku keep telling people about solutions to help with overheating when I assume they know that certain sticks have a defect and will overheat no matter what is done. They need to replace this stick in MHO> now. I am afraid to purchase a new stick since there is a good chance it will have the same issue. 

My stick has a SN CT38C0123543

Allan Glazer 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Old Roku device is frequently overheating

Roku has offered nine different versions of the Stick. We need to know exactly which model you have. This information can be found under Settings/System/About. 

If the model number is 3500 or lower, your Stick is no longer supported by Roku. Even the 3600 is now a seven year old device. If you have a 3500 or older, you probably just need to replace it.

All models of Sticks do tend to run quite warm. One thing Roku offers is a free HDMI extension cable to move the Stick further away from the TV. Overheating is generally caused by the Stick being so close to the TV, especially if the TV itself is also warm in the same area. With the extension cable, you can put a bit of space between the Stick and the TV, which aids cooling. I personally bought a longer extension cable to allow more freedom on locating the Stick where I want it placed. The extension cable Roku provides is very short, only about 6" or so. I like getting it further away from the TV than that.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

@atc98092 

according to this:

https://community.roku.com/t5/Roku-legacy-products/ROKU-SERIAL-NUMBER-TO-MODEL-NUMBER-LIST/td-p/6434...

it's this:

CT - Roku Streaming Stick (6th Gen) - 3800X

0 Kudos
atc98092

Well, the 3800 is not a legacy device, as it's still supported by Roku. So it's possible that forum page isn't completely accurate. If it is the 3800, it's new enough it shouldn't be acting like that. However, it's also getting close to six years old, so some sort of parts failure is always a possibility. 

Dan

0 Kudos

My Roku stick keeps becoming too hot. When not in use, I keep it UNPLUGGED from the power. It alerts me within a few minutes that it is overheating when I plug it in and turn on the television. I'm certain that the stick must have a problem that makes it constantly overheat. This Roku is trashed. Therefore I'm seeking to buy a new one. Why does Roku constantly recommend ways to prevent overheating when they know some sticks have flaws and will overheat regardless of what is done? This stick in MHO needs to be replaced immediately. The likelihood that a fresh stick would experience the same problem makes me reluctant to buy one.

0 Kudos
atc98092

@shilpashetty9 same question as before. Exactly what model Stick do you have? As mentioned, there's nine different versions with the first dating back 11 years ago.

My Stick (3821 Stick 4K+) works just fine when I leave it connected to power the entire week I'm at the hotel. But if heat is a concern for you, then I recommend the Express 4K+. It connects to the TV with a cable (which it comes with) and you can keep it away from the TV. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RokuNimfa-C

above is a:

SCAM DO NOT CLICK LINK!

Bismarck318
Roku Guru

@atc98092 As these sticks do have a tendency to run warm, would it be a benefit to set these on a large thick metal plate while in operation to absorb some of this heat?  I imagine there is a heat sinking device within the unit, this was just a thought for added protection.   

0 Kudos
atc98092

For a heat sink to be of any practical value, the sink needs to have good contact with the device being cooled. The problem with a Roku Stick (or really any sort of electronic device in a similar case), it doesn't have large flat spaces that can have firm contact with the device. The sides aren't really flat, instead having some curvature on all sides.  While it might provide some relief, it's not going to do as much as one might expect. Moving the device into free air space (away from the TV) would likely do as much or more than a heat sink device. I think a small fan would be of much more value than any sort of heat sink. That said, I've never had a fan pointed at any of my Roku players, even one that's inside a cabinet. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Bismarck318
Roku Guru

@atc98092 Noted the stick is not a flat device (so you are correct, setting on a metal plate is not a full benefit).  I currently have mine sitting out front of the set with a heavy shielded HDMI extension.  I did not do this setup for heat (yet I'm sure it gets better ventilation), but for RFI prevention, as the stick appears to generate some being close to the main board/tuner.  I still watch TV OTA (Over The Air), on occasion & this does help.     

0 Kudos