Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
djpm18
Reel Rookie

Re: How to fix 'insufficient power' or 'low power' warning

Jump to solution

I need help with my daughters Roku it’s saying insufficient power please help

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@djpm18 wrote:

I need help with my daughters Roku it’s saying insufficient power please help

Need more detail. What is the model number of the Roku (not name)? How is it powered now? Are you using the cables/power adapters that came with the Roku, or 3rd party devices?

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
djpm18
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Unsure of model number can’t see well but it’s the express and yes I’m using all original equipment that came with it 

atc98092

Jump to solution

@djpm18 wrote:

Unsure of model number can’t see well but it’s the express and yes I’m using all original equipment that came with it 

Ok, great. Are you using a USB port in the TV to power the Express? 

Dan

0 Kudos
surferscott
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I've had a Roku Streaming Stick for 1 1/2 years and I also ONLY receive the low power warning when I watch an Amazon Prime show, never on Netflix or any other service.  Seems a bit suspect if you ask me.  How is that possible?

atc98092

Jump to solution

@surferscott wrote:

I've had a Roku Streaming Stick for 1 1/2 years and I also ONLY receive the low power warning when I watch an Amazon Prime show, never on Netflix or any other service.  Seems a bit suspect if you ask me.  How is that possible?

Same question: are you using a TV USB port to power the Stick? Those really don't offer enough power to run a Stick+, as they have a more powerful WiFi system. My old 3600 stick was fine, but I still used the wall cube that it came with for power whenever the hotel had a close enough wall outlet. 

Dan

0 Kudos
surferscott
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yes, the device, I believe model 3800, has been connected to my Sony TV USB port since I purchased it and it has performed flawlessly. I'm a bit confused as to how suddenly the TV, after a year and a half, isn't supplying enough power, and the warning only occurs when I watch an Amazon program. Any ideas why it seems specific to Amazon shows? Thanks. 

atc98092

Jump to solution

@surferscott wrote:

Yes, the device, I believe model 3800, has been connected to my Sony TV USB port since I purchased it and it has performed flawlessly. I'm a bit confused as to how suddenly the TV, after a year and a half, isn't supplying enough power, and the warning only occurs when I watch an Amazon program. Any ideas why it seems specific to Amazon shows? Thanks. 

I can only make a complete guess about Prime, but depending on the bitrate and codecs in use it may draw just that much more power than other channels. As to why the USB port has worked well in the past, you just got lucky. The USB 2.0 standard, which is likely all your TV has, only supplies 500 mA (1/2 amp), and Roku players need more than that. The Stick is probably close to that, but if the TV drops its current just a hair you've crossed into the low power region. Most Roku wall cubes have at least 750 mA, while the ones for the Ultra are over 1 amp. Simply because the Ultra needs more power because of the Ethernet jack and other hardware reasons. 

Dan

0 Kudos
surferscott
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Ah, interesting. Thank you for your response, Dan, much appreciated.

0 Kudos
Chaslen
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hey Dan.

Regarding your answer to, atc98092, that the stick  has a problem with USB 2.0 current supply

of 55mA. Roku certainly makes no effort to tell its customers this. Why do you think customers are buying the Stick? They want to hide the Roku behind the tv like you state can be done using USB. Develop a new Stick that can transform the USB lower power outputs to higher levels. Maybe we Elon Musk and SpaceX could be of some assistance.