Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Richard345

Error Code 008 - Unable to Update Roku

Jump to solution

I've been encountering an issue with my Roku device. Whenever I attempt to update the software, I receive an error message with the code 008. This is hindering the update process, and I'm unsure how to proceed. Could you please guide me on the steps to resolve this error and successfully update my Roku device? Thank you in advance for your help. Best regards!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Burnsy86

Re: Error Code 008 - Unable to Update Roku

Jump to solution

My husband found a solution online that worked for our Onn brand Roku tv — hold the reset button for 30+ seconds while the TV is on, and keep holding it until the tv restarts itself and it will bump over to recovery mode (the screen will be purple and it will say recovery mode). The software update was effective from this screen, it didn’t work any other way I tried (e.g. I tried reset from tv off, tried unplugging and plugging in tv, tried rebooting wireless router, connecting to hotspot, etc. etc). Thank goodness it worked.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Richard345,

Thanks for reaching out to us here in the Roku Community!

For the error message you are seeing, we recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku device. Also, try to connect your device to an alternative network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you can resolve the issue you are seeing. Once your Roku device has been set up, try switching back to your home wireless network to see if you are still experiencing the issue.

You can look further at our troubleshooting steps provided on our Support page here: What should I do if my Roku device cannot update software?

Please keep us posted on what you find out.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Burnsy86

Jump to solution

My husband found a solution online that worked for our Onn brand Roku tv — hold the reset button for 30+ seconds while the TV is on, and keep holding it until the tv restarts itself and it will bump over to recovery mode (the screen will be purple and it will say recovery mode). The software update was effective from this screen, it didn’t work any other way I tried (e.g. I tried reset from tv off, tried unplugging and plugging in tv, tried rebooting wireless router, connecting to hotspot, etc. etc). Thank goodness it worked.

Garydl

Jump to solution

Thank you, been trying for days,  this finally worked,  almost gave up and bought another tv 

IEP

Jump to solution

Thank you for your posting. It seems the best way to update the software.