Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andino66
Channel Surfer

Re: Dim HDR and Dolby vision picture quality

I returned the unit that I had. It was green screening. The replacement will be here today. If it has the same issues I will return it and get another brand. I like Roku but the lack of support isn't acceptable.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Remember that Roku isn't the manufacturer of the TV, so issues such as green screen is out of their control.

But I agree Roku tech support has virtually disappeared during COVID. There's not much the forum admins can do to help if there's no tech they can reach out to. I know they try, but there's stuff that only a tech can help with.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Akin6172
Reel Rookie

It's a contrast issue with the Roku device, they can adjust it with a firmware, video content appears crushed in dark scenes.  I have used other streaming devices and it is nowhere near as dim as the Roku. I  tried out an apple tv streamer and it is probably the best one of the bunch in terms of picture quality.

andino66
Channel Surfer

"Remember that Roku isn't the manufacturer of the TV, so issues such as green screen is out of their control." 

There must have been some confusion. The Roku actually green screened and then rebooted. It also locked up and rebooted several times while setting in menus. I've had the device for 3 full days and if has rebooted at least 4 times each day that I have used it. That and the dim HDR and Dolby Vision are why I am returning the unit. 

If the new unit is dim with HDR and Dolby Vision I will return the replacement and purchase another brand. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Sorry, I thought you had a TCL Roku TV. Mixing up the different posts. 

Dan

0 Kudos
andino66
Channel Surfer

The new Roku is also dim. That is a shame.

I have issued a return on the device and will send it back. 

Looks like I will be going with an Nvidia Shield Pro instead.

0 Kudos
atc98092

I can't play my UHD rips with my 4800, as the Ethernet connection isn't fast enough. But I watched some 4K/Dolby Vision on both Disney+ and Vudu, and I can't say the image is dim. I can start playing my UHD rips (which are HDR, not DV), and while it's not watchable because of the buffering I can see enough that again they don't seem dim. I also have some test videos (which naturally are designed to highlight 4K/HDR to the maximum) and again bright scenes are as bright as I expect.  

One thing I've noticed with 4K TVs, is that they are very sensitive to their settings, especially for HDR content. Internal apps may not be using the same settings, and switching to HDR or Dolby Vision may enable different settings that need to be adjusted on the fly. I would suggest playing with the TV settings while playing HDR or DV content, and you might discover the reason for the less than stellar image quality. 

Dan

0 Kudos
atc98092

I'd like to add that my '19 Nvidia Shield (not the Pro) looks virtually identical to the Ultra 4800 with both HDR and DV content. But note that both connect through my AVR and therefore use the same HDMI input with the same settings on the TV. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Skooma
Reel Rookie

@andino66 wrote:

The new Roku is also dim. That is a shame.

I have issued a return on the device and will send it back. 

Looks like I will be going with an Nvidia Shield Pro 

I'm curious why the pro and not the shield tv? I picked up the shield last night after returning the ultra.

0 Kudos
andino66
Channel Surfer

I have a great Sony TV. All I wanted was a streaming device because I find the built in Android TV is nice but not very responsive. The Nvidia Shield Pro looks to be very responsive. It comes tomorrow. I can come back here and drop off my impressions if you guys want.

By the way, the Dolby Vision on the Sony TV's smart Android TV looks much brighter and the colors are not as washed out like the Roku. I switched from one input to another for the comparison. It was night and day difference. I could actually see details correctly with the Sony TV where it was too dark to make things out on the Roku.

Also, I had the Roku hooked straight into the HDMI-1 slot on the TV with the HDMI that came with the Roku.