Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RACU73

Re: Dim HDR and Dolby vision picture quality

As of Version 10 of the roku software, setting the Display Type to 4K is the only way to get a normal, not dimmed picture. This setting disables HDR in any form so that’s very disappointing. I have an LGCX with the latest firmware and don’t have this issue with their apps. All LG Web OS apps run with Dolby vision or HDR 10 with a normal picture 

HisSvt2
Roku Guru

Setting my Ultra to regular HDR is not bad but Dolby Vision is really dark on my LG BX OLED. Obviously running 4K only is brighter always because no HDR at all. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

While my LG is a standard LED set, not OLED, I find both HDR and Dolby Vision to usually be noticeably brighter than the standard image. Just remember that HDR and DV have nothing to do with brightness in general. The color gamut is increased, and the overall range of brightness is larger. But it's all dependent on the way the video is processed, illuminated, and recorded/filmed. If the director and/or cinematographer doesn't want a bright image, you don't get one. Sometimes when people complain about the image brightness, it's shown the way they intended it. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
HisSvt2
Roku Guru

I know the differences your explaining. I’m watching Fantastic beasts secrets of dumbledore in Dolby vision on the Roku the implementation in HBO Now isn’t right it’s overly dark where it shouldn’t be with Roku set the regular HDR it’s dark where it need to be with properly lit scenes. Obviously turning off HDR you get a 4K only image. My tv has proper calibration for each mode so of course they will look different but the Dolby Vision on the Roku Ultra is definitely not right at all. I can load a movie on 4K disc and Dolby Vision and lighting is great same with HDR but the Roku Dolby Vision implementation is still messed up compared to regular HDR10.  

IG-64

If anyone is still having this issue I believe I have found the culprit. Under Settings > System > Advanced System Settings > Advanced Display Settings there's a setting called "HDR always on." You should set this to OFF. With the setting on, Roku tries to display all content as HDR so non-HDR content ends up being very dim.

I don't know why Roku defaults this to on. It looks very bad and even affects the Roku menus.