Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tel19
Channel Surfer

Roku Express output volume control

I have started using my Roku to play music from my Plex server.  The problem I have is that the output from the Roku is too high for the amplifier input and causes distortion.

I was using a Roku 3 which I understand has no output volume control mechanism so I purchased a Roku Express which is supposed to have a volume control.  I was led to believe that the remote handset had volume buttons on the side but it doesn't.  I was also led to believe that the Roku remote control app provided speaker buttons for raising or lowering the volume when connected to a Roku Express but it doesn't.

Please can someone explain to me how to lower the output volume of either of these devices.  Many thanks.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Express output volume control

Greeting @tel19

Thanks for reaching out here in Roku Community. 

If the remote has a power button and volume control on the side of the remote, then it will control the power and volume of your TV. For more information about using a Roku device remote to control the power and volume of your TV, visit our support site here: What type of remote does my Roku device use?

Additionally, Roku mobile app turns your mobile device into a control center for your Roku streaming player or Roku TV and it has a volume control option. Please read the detailed article about How to use the Roku mobile app to control your Roku device without a remote

If you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Regards, 
Nimfa 

0 Kudos
tel19
Channel Surfer

Thanks for the reply.  I have looked at the article about using the remote control app.  With the Roku Express I was expecting to see the same as the first image in the article:

where there are controls for the volume via the speakers buttons.  But what is get is the same as the second image:

where there are no speaker buttons.

Is there something I need to do to the app in order to see the speaker buttons?

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@tel19, I don't know where you heard that the Express had output volume control, but wherever you heard it, they were mistaken.  No Roku stick or console device has output volume control.  I'm guessing those volume control buttons you see on the app are for Roku TVs, Streambars, or possibly Roku devices that are controlling the volume via CEC.  The audio level coming out of a Roku device is fixed and has never been something that can be controlled.

Since you mention Plex, I've seen many poorly encoded MP3s that can/will cause clipping when decoded.  I use a program called MP3Gain to "fix" them.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
tel19
Channel Surfer

Thanks for your comments.  I presume that my only option is to fit an in-line manual volume control to reduce the input level to the amplifier.  At least that should fix the distortion even it is impractical to use as regular volume control.

I understand the issue with MP3s which is why I don't use them if I can possibly avoid it.  Nearly all my music is encoded to FLAC.  I had not heard of MP3Gain though, useful info.

0 Kudos