Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JustSayin
Streaming Star

Ads for any of the Premium Channels are freezing the shows. STOP THOSE ADS!!!!

On the Roku channel, the ads for any of the Premium Channels (like STARZ, BET, etc.) have this new "feature" to "Learn more", which would be fine, EXCEPT that any of those ads FREEZE as soon as the ad finishes and it does NOT return to the show! 😡

I've tried waiting it out, but it just stays frozen. Doing a system restart does NOT solve this issue. The only way I can go back to what I was watching once those ads finish running is to hit the Back arrow on my remote, then resume the movie/episode I'm watching. Sometimes it even loses my place and goes back to the beginning! 

To be clear, this freezing ONLY happens with the ads for any of the Premium Channels that have the new "Learn More" feature. Regular ads without that feature return to the show as usual with no problems.

Please SHUT OFF THOSE ADS until you can fix this glitch!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8 REPLIES 8
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Ads for any of the Premium Channels are freezing the shows. STOP THOSE ADS!!!!

Hi @JustSayin,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

Please be advised that Roku only transmits the channel and is not responsible for the ads and contents within an app. The respective channel is solely responsible for choosing the content and ads, and we have no control over the programming or operation of the channel. With that being said, we would recommend reaching out to any specific channel/service provider's customer support to report the issue and for further help.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JustSayin
Streaming Star

Re: Ads for any of the Premium Channels are freezing the shows. STOP THOSE ADS!!!!

Chel,

I'm really starting to wonder: does Roku EVER accept ANY level of responsibility for ANYTHING?

It's a serious question.

We're talking about the actual Roku Channel here, did you miss that fact? And these particular ads have a new very Roku-specific feature to "learn more" that causes the Roku Channel app to freeze EVERY time those ads run. So, according to your answer, Roku is responsible for choosing the ads on the Roku Channel. And this comment IS reporting it (because Roku doesn't really have any direct customer support).

That learn-more feature is about using the Roku Channel to subscribe to premium channels. So Roku would collect the funds, the premium channels would then run on the Roku Channel (if anyone is crazy enough to subscribe, knowing that not even the ADS run properly and all Roku can say about the malfunction is "not our problem"). In case you have trouble figuring this out: failure to accept responsibility when things go wrong makes people angry. Smart companies really try to avoid that.

What Roku absolutely could do, now that the issue has been reported, is to tell the advertisers of these premium channels is that their ads with the "learn more" feature are NOT compatible with the Roku app (because they AREN'T) and Roku could and should choose not to allow those types of ads because they interfere with how the Roku Channel app functions.

Moderators should really learn to pay attention to ALL of what a customer is saying, not just send a knee-jerk "it's not our problem" response based on a key word or two.

xknwn2u
Reel Rookie

I'm having the exact same problem, mine seems to happen in the evening, only on the ROKU channel, and only with the ROKU Ads.. I just turn it off and will look for a new streaming device.. I have 2 Roku devices and am tired of the updates that do more harm than good..

RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @JustSayin @xknwn2u,

We're sorry for the inconvenience, and we appreciate the reports. Please share with us the details below.

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID).

Once we have this information, we'll be able to forward it to the appropriate Roku team.

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
larrykathy12
Reel Rookie

Looks like the only way to fix this problem is to go to fire stick or amazon because they are refusing to fix this mess that they have created. Been going on for 2 months and nothing has been done

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @larrykathy12,

Thank you for posting here in the Roku community!
We'd like to take a closer look into this issue that you're experiencing. May we know what troubleshooting steps you have taken so far?

We'll wait for your response.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
xknwn2u
Reel Rookie

Yep! not only the Premium channels, T-mobile ads freeze every single time and they advertise alot

I only have 1 Roku left to replace firestick works Ok, just different than what I was used to...

Happy New Year...?

S.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @jennykim5,

Thank you for posting here in the Roku Community!
We'd like to take a closer look into this issue that you're experiencing. May we know if this is happening on all contents and channels or if it is isolated to one channel? (Specify)

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.