Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gibbonsdb
Reel Rookie

4640X Intermittent Issue / Replacement Source?

Hello. I have a 4640X that is failing on a random basis. By 'failing' I mean that it pretty regularly fails to display the palette of apps, does not respond the the remote and basically acts 'dead.'

If I RESET it, it will go thru the normal startup sequence, including the Roku activation process and then the screen extinguishes and displays nothing.

I have another ROKU - a 4670X - and if I plug in the the 4670X and unplug the 4640X everything works great.

I use a Cat 5 ethernet cable vs wireless connectivity.

A SECOND QUESTION: does anyone know where I can get a replacement 4640X? I need the Optical port for digital audio output and I don't think there's another ROKU model that has this feature? I have been unable to find one on eBay, etc.

THANKS!!

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: 4640X Intermittent Issue / Replacement Source?

The 4640 was replaced by the 4660 in Oct 2018. You are highly unlikely to find any new stock anywhere. If you aren't seeing any on eBay, then there's probably none available. 

If an optical out is mandatory for your use, (and you're correct there's no Roku available with one any longer) I would suggest using an HDMI audio extractor. Here's one on Amazon for $20, and has a 5% off coupon. Then you could use any Roku player. Note that this specific extractor only supports 4K/30, so if you have a 4K TV you really should get an extractor that supports 4K/60 passthrough. Otherwise you might lose HDR/Dolby Vision support (assuming you have a compatible display).

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.