Smart home app

Learn how to use the Roku home app to control the smart devices in your home. Join the online community forum for troubleshooting tips and helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mgaughan
Channel Surfer

Logins to Roku SmartHome App have never worked...

So I am a Roku fan until now.  A couple of Roku players, a couple of Roku TVs, never an issue until I decide to try a Roku camera.

The Roku SmartHome App, knows my User ID (e-mail address), asks to use it for me, but when I select login, I get a brief spinner, and then nothing.  Stuck on the same page.  This is true on my iPad and my IPhone.

I have verified my login via browser a few dozen times.  Deleted and reinstalled the app a few times also.

I will live with the camera being a sunk cost, but after the two week trial is up, I will not be extending my subscription, since it has got me nothing so far.

I know the camera works since I can see it on my Roku TVs, but what value is that if I am sitting in the room the camera is on.  I need remote access to the camera, and that I am not getting.

Thanks!

Mike.

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Logins to Roku SmartHome App have never worked...

A real shot in the dark, but by any chance are your devices jailbroken?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
mgaughan
Channel Surfer

My devices are not jailbroken.  Were you hoping they were or thinking they were broken because they were jailbroken?  I have seen the problem I am having happening to far too many other people.  It is something Roku really needs to address.  Thanks!  Mike.

0 Kudos
Dfresh567
Roku Guru

@mgaughan 

Sorry to hear you are having challenges with the Roku SmartHome App.  I have a couple questions to try to help troubleshoot this issues with you.

The first being, have you bought a new very phone recently by any chance? And then what kind of phone do you own?

Also, do you happen to have a partner or someone you could ask to try logging on on there phone? You can always delete the app after. If you do could you may ask them if you could download the app and then try logging on there phone?

I'd be curious to see what happens. Let me know about the question and if you can try logging in on another persons phone and I can try to help you from there.

Fingers crossed!

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Just going from what I've seen other people report here with rooted Android devices.  Apparently that causes a problem with the app, so I though maybe jailbroken iOS devices might have the same problem.  Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
mgaughan
Channel Surfer

Thanks for the response.  The initial setup of a camera should not be this hard or impossible.  I dont know how Roku makes money on subscriptions if their devices do not connect up to their app.

0 Kudos
mgaughan
Channel Surfer

Good Morning @Dfresh567,

My iphone is older, an 11, but not too old.

My wife has the same and I will test your idea after she gets home from work.

Thanks!

Mike.

0 Kudos
Dfresh567
Roku Guru

@mgaughan 

It’s def worth a shot. At the very least it will it will rule out a potential cause of the problem. Once you’ve tried it. Let me know what happened 

Dfresh567
Roku Guru

@mgaughan 

Hey there, just checking in to see if you were able to find success with the issue you had with the Roku SmartHome App. Either way Id be curious to know how things are working.

0 Kudos
mgaughan
Channel Surfer

Good Afternoon @Dfresh567 ,

I downloaded the app on my wife's device and , of course, it works.

Unfortunately, that does not tell me why it does not work on my phone or my ipad.

I have no idea of what next steps are.

Thanks for sticking with this.

Mike.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.