Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rrporto
Channel Surfer

Re: factory reset and no remote control

well, that has been my point all along (I feel we are going on a vicious cycle here). how am I going to set it up if remote doesnt work in the first place? 2 years of perfect care (device hasnt been moved, transported, nothing spilled on it, no falls, things on top ... nothing) ... just 2 years and things stop working ?

sorry to say, but we dont need a place to cry our sorrows, a place to say " did you check your batteries" or "how far remote is from device"; we need technical support!

without a physical place for consumers to go and have smalls fix done, I just can NOT trust my money to Roku again with mere 2 years of perfect usage and no place to go other than " we recommend to buy a new one".

(I understand you are doing your job, so please let your superiors know).

Strega2
Roku Guru

You can check your local listings for A/V repair places.  Back when people were buying thousand-dollar-plus VCRs, these places were common and well-used.  However, once a typical VCR had fallen to around $500, then the number of places dropped off, and if you’d go in, they’d tell you there was a diagnosis fee that was somewhere in the triple digits.  It’s just hard to keep skilled people employed at physical places when the gadgets can be replaced for so little money.

My guess is that your IR receiver in the Roku failed.  No new IR remote could fix that, because you’d be replacing the wrong side.  (A Wi-Fi remote could though.) And the app would work fine – unless you did a factory reset – because then the app has no way to latch on to your Roku before your Roku is connected to your network, which it isn’t once you factory reset.  (Wi-Fi remotes, but not phones, have a trick for that.)

But it’s hard for me to imagine any local shop that would want to take your Roku apart and solder in a new IR sensor, since I would expect a tech’s hourly rate, benefits, and store costs and markup to be above the cost of a new Roku.  Cheap stuff tends to be more replaceable than repairable.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
taschmidt
Streaming Star

@Strega2 the problem is that most if not all of these are software issues, not hardware. I've been in the software industry for 26 years and I know a software issue when I see one. But the bigger more troubling problem is that this is becoming a common occurrence where Roku introduces critical software flaws that brick devices, and then not just deny the issue but completely ignore it altogether (see this thread for another example).