Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rrporto
Channel Surfer

factory reset and no remote control

So, my original remote control stopped working. I've tried everything listed here and nothing. Decided to try a factory reset.

now remote control still doesnt work, app lost its connection. Then I've bought a new remote control which still doesnt work.

now what? Is it a matter of linking new remote to old roku? how? is there someone from Roku customer service here? really new directions here... thanks  

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: factory reset and no remote control

Hi @rrporto,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

We will be more than happy to look further into this issue that you're experiencing, but we will need more details. Can you please provide the following information?

• What device are you using right now? (e.g., Roku Express, Roku Streambar, Roku TV)
  • What type of remote are you using right now? universal, simple, or voice remote
  • Can you please check if the battery is inserted properly into the remote?
  • How far is your Roku TV or device from your remote?

With detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
rrporto
Channel Surfer

hi John,

device: Roku Premiere HD/4K/HDR

remote: simple

battery: this was the first thing checked and they are good and working (even tested in another controller of a different device, so no issues with battery)

distance: same as it has been from past 2 years, that is, around 2 m. ( since you have mentioned distance, I have tried everything from 2 cm away to 5 meters away and same result, that is, nothing)

thanks for replying.

Rafael

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @rrporto,

Thanks for keeping us posted.

We would want to assist you further regarding your concern. What Roku remote did you previously have, and what Roku remote did you recently purchase? Also, have you tried hard factory resetting your device once again to see if the issue persists? If not, we recommend giving it a try to resolve the issue. For more information about how to perform a factory reset on a Roku device, visit our Support page here: System restart or factory reset your streaming device

Please let us know what you find out.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
rrporto
Channel Surfer

hi Kash,

I had a simple controller before and bought a simple controller again. I did perform a factory reset again based on instructions via pinhole and invariably I land in the same page, which is the one reading " let's get started" which is asking me to select a laguage.

but this is exactly my problem: how am I supposed to select a language if remote doesnt work??? also roku app in my phone has lost connection with device due to factory reset.

this is why I am insisting in my previous question: do we need to sync new controllers? if yes, how???

because, again, old controller stopped working, new doesnt work and app doesnt work.

thanks

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @rrporto,

Thanks for keeping us posted and providing the information.

The basic remote uses an IR (Infra Red) light to transmit button presses a short distance. For your simple remote to operate reliably, it must be pointed directly at your Roku streaming device and there must be nothing blocking the signal from travelling to the front of that device, where the IR receiver is located. Hence, there is no need to sync or pair new remote controls.

On the other hand, it might be a good option to upgrade your current streaming device due to its longevity. For more information on the newer versions of Roku streaming devices, kindly refer to this support article at this link: Roku Streaming Devices & Players

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
rrporto
Channel Surfer

device was working via app (in my phone) before factory reset.

there has to be another way other than asking the consumer to spend more money.

isnt there a place, store or technical assistance place where I can bring my device just to set it up and link it to my phone?

thank you,

Rafael

0 Kudos
taschmidt
Streaming Star

There's definitely a Roku software issue going on. Doing some app testing and ran into this with two separate devices just today. Device and remote worked fine before. Factory reset, now remote won't pair. Stuck on the language selection screen. Tried everything in all the troubleshooting guides. Seriously, Roku?

Also related: https://community.roku.com/t5/Remotes/Remote-won-t-pair-light-blinking-but-stuck-on-pair-your-remote...

Funny thing is, I'm not sure how Roku is going to fix their latest bonehead bug. Since you can't even get to the point in the initial setup where you connect to a network, how do you push a software update to fix it?

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @rrporto,

Thanks for keeping us posted.

Kindly be advised that once your device has been factory reset, your Roku mobile app as a remote no longer connects to your Roku device. To reconnect, you will need to set up the streaming device once again, and gain access to the settings where you can set the Roku mobile app as a remote.

We hope for your understanding regarding this matter.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
taschmidt
Streaming Star

@RokuTakashi ah but how do you set it up when you're unable to connect a remote to it? And please don't send links to troubleshooting guides. This is a Roku software issue. 

0 Kudos