Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BruceRPA
Streaming Star

Re: Was there a recent update that caused problem for 4K Sticks?

I swapped the iPad power supply for a typical Apple brand iPhone 1 Amp USB power supply / charger from my iPhone 13.  No Joy.  The same problem remains.  

As I mentioned previously, SOMETIMES, but NOT always, after leaving the remote control untouched for five or ten minutes the volume controls will respond, but only briefly for a few commands.  Leaving it alone for a few moments will cause it to stop responding again.  

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@BruceRPA 

I think you may be down to just trying to use different Vizio codes in the Remote setup since power has been verified and CEC settings have all been reset.

Settings/Remotes & Devices/Remotes/Setup Remote for TV Control

-----

Try going past the first one that seems to work for you (just answer falsely to the on-screen prompt).  That should automatically try other programming codes.  This step may take you a bit of time to find one that works for you.

Additionally, some users have indicated that LG codes will work for Vizio TVs . (mostly used when none of the Vizio codes worked during setup, but can also be tried in this instance as well).

Intermittent issues are often the most difficult to track down the underlying culprit.  

Are there any power saving features or low-power modes enabled on the Vizio TV(s) you are using?

Post back with the model numbers of the affected Vizio TV sets.  Might have to broaden the scope of what we are looking at here and see if there are any other reports of similar behaviors with other devices/device remotes.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

BruceRPA
Streaming Star

I have tried each of the four Vizeo codes without success.  The first one is the only one that works at all, if only momentarily.  I will try them again along with LG codes in the next day or so as time permits.  

There are no power saving modes enabled on either TV or on either ROKU stick.

The Vizeo model numbers are:

M261VP, VERSION C7.0.1.0-S  (This is the TV that I am working with the most)

D32F4-J01. 3.520.28.1-2

The Vizeo TV that is working fine with an ULTRA is SV472XVT, VERSION VIZEO_C7.01.0-S

0 Kudos
BruceRPA
Streaming Star

I tried all five LG codes.  No Joy.

I defaulted the 4K+ Roku stick again and tried all four Vizeo codes again.  The only one that worked is the first code, but only for the first minute after starting the device, then the volume, and mute buttons stopped responding.  SOMETIMES the power button would turn the TV off.  Other times, no response.

Toward the end of my testing yesterday, I turned CEC off in the Vizeo TV that I have been working with (in the kitchen).  Voila!  It works! And it has been working almost continuously for 24 hours.  I say almost because there was a brief moment when the remote failed to respond to volume commands again, but it only lasted for 15 seconds or so before returning to normal operation again.  

So, for the moment, the 4K+ Roku stick in the kitchen is working normally (with CEC OFF).  Unfortunately I have absolutely no confidence that this ROKU device will remain working.  Remember, it worked perfectly for five weeks after it was first installed before it suddenly and without any changes it suddenly stopped responding to Volume, mute and power commands only. The identical ROKU 4K+ stick that was purchased and installed at the same time on another Vizeo TV (in the Livingroom), now roughly seven weeks ago, failed in exactly the same way a day or two after the one in the kitchen that I have been working with.  More on that ROKU follows.

Since the ROKU 4K+ stick in the kitchen seems to be working normally at the moment, I spent the day working with the other identical 4K+ stick that is in use with the Living room Vizeo TV.  At startup this morning, it worked fine, but only for a minute or two. The ROKU is powered by an external Apple 1 Amp USB power supply/charger.  The remote showed 78% charge. I turned CEC off on the Vizeo tv (as it is in the kitchen Vizeo TV) and then power-cycled the TV and the ROKU.  At power-up the remote did not respond at all. Turning CEC back on allowed the remote to work again for a minute or two only.  I then spent the next several hours trying various settings, pairing the remote, setting up the remote for TV control, power-cycling the TV and the ROKU, and so on, and so on, and so on. Toward the end of my day the Voice Remote struggled several times to enter the pairing procedure after factory defaulting the Roku or “adding a new remote” procedure.  

At this point, I am done spending any more time on this unless there is some new revelation that I am not aware of.  I have tried every possible thing that I can think of repeatedly withe these two 4K+ Sticks and the two Vizeo TVs.  I hate to think of the number of hours that I wasted researching, reading, and trying everything that I could think of or was was suggested.  

I have an RMA to return the 4K+ stick that is, or was, in use in the Living room. I will wait a few more days before requesting an RMA for the other 4K+ stick that is working at the moment.  I am waiting on a reply to my request to return them so that I can buy two Ultras.  If that is denied or there’re is not another acceptable solution, I will scrap everything and choose different products. I will not tolerate anything that is this unstable and unreliable. We just don’t need the aggravation that they are causing us. I am happy to hear that they work so well for others.  I expected the same, and had the same experience initially.  

0 Kudos
BruceRPA
Streaming Star

Update: 3/23/2023

The 4K+stick that was originally in the living room and was moved to the Kitchen has been working normally for the past week since my previous post.  Note that CEC is set to OFF with the Vizeo TV that it is connected to.  The 4K+ stick is the only device connected to the TV, however I just now reconnected my CCTV system to a different HDMI input on the TV.  The good news is that the 4K+ stick is working normally again. Unfortunately my confidence is very low that it will remain working.  

The bad news is that in spite of ROKU Support two weeks ago (3/9/23) stating that “Once the issue is investigated you will be contacted to the email”, they have not responded to my initial inquiry and request OR to my followup inquiry three days ago (3/20/23). I have not received so much as an automated genuinely insincere response that they are still hard at work investigating.  I am being ignored.  I find that to be very disappointing. It certainly does not reflect well on their commitment to customer service.  I thought that ROKU was better than that. 

0 Kudos
BruceRPA
Streaming Star

I should have mentioned that setting CEC to OFF with the Living room Vizeo TV does not result in the 4K+ stick working. Setting CEC to OFF causes the remote to immediately stop responding. 

0 Kudos
Emissary35
Roku Guru

@BruceRPA 

"I have not received so much as an automated genuinely insincere response that they are still hard at work investigating.  I am being ignored.  I find that to be very disappointing. It certainly does not reflect well on their commitment to customer service.  I thought that ROKU was better than that."

That's standard practice here for Roku. Sometimes I think this community only exists in order to give Roku users the illusion that they have actual support, but in reality nothing is getting done.

The moderators that read and respond on this board for the most part are utterly useless. They just regurgitate the same basic steps from the help script over and over again even though you've already done those basic steps yourself (because they are common sense) and they don't work.

Nobody is rushing to email you back, their 'investigations' of problems isn't a priority to them. I think they don't actually investigate anything at all, or perhaps if they do they simply don't feel like putting in the time and effort to actually correct the problem that their bogus updates cause.

Complain about any issues you have here and most of the time all you will get is them asking for your serial number and other device specific info, then after you provide all they ask for the problem doesn't get solved. You can see someone else complain about the same issue, they will ask for all of the same info from them as well and their problem also won't get solved.

Customer service at Roku leaves a lot to be desired and that's the kindest way to put it.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@BruceRPA-

Streaming Stick 4k+ comes with a Roku Voice Remote Pro.

A number of people have reported problems where a Roku Voice Remote intermittently loses ability to send infrared Volume, Mute, and Power commands to the TV.

I've never experienced this problem with any of my Voice Remotes, but it has been reported that updating the remote firmware version can fix the intermittent IR command problem. This can be done via a Roku "secret menu".

Caveat: So-called "secret menus" are not officially supported by Roku. They may not work with all Roku models, and they may be discontinued at any time.

1) Go to the "secret" Platform Menu. To do this, hit the these buttons in sequence: Home five times, FF, Pause, RW, Pause, FF

2) Go to RF Remote Menu

3) Go to Over The Air (OTA) Update Men

4) Go to OTA Firmware Update

5) Update the firmware

6) Exit

Solution source: https://community.roku.com/t5/Remotes/Roku-Voice-Remote-TV-Controls-Stop-Working-Potential-Fix/m-p/8...

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
BruceRPA
Streaming Star

Ouch!  That is sad to hear. 

Interestingly, I just received this “update” from support.

Roku Customer Support reference #: (#######) <—The hash tags are mine, BR

Hi Bruce Russell,

We're following up to let you know we've got an update. To respond, reply to this email.

Sincerely,

Roku Customer Support

Thats it.  Nothing more.

It’s a riddle.  

I hate riddles!  Especially in matters like these.  

0 Kudos
BruceRPA
Streaming Star

Is the Secret Menu update procedure different than the update procedure that is performed Via the normal Settings > System > Software update procedure?  If no, I have been sure to keep up with checking for updates each time that I started a day of troubleshooting.

0 Kudos