Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Serendipity12
Reel Rookie

Wanting to use a Roku Streaming 4k stick on my Sanyo TV...sleep timer question

Jump to solution

I have a Sanyo TV connected to a cable box. I use the Sleep Timer function on the TV remote to turn off the TV at night. I'm wanting to remove the cable box and get a Roku 4K stick, but hesitant because I don't know if my Sanyo TV remote will still allow me to set the Sleep Timer. Can anyone help me? Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuRiamie-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Wanting to use a Roku Streaming 4k stick on my Sanyo TV...sleep timer question

Jump to solution

Hi @Serendipity12,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!
We appreciate your interest in using our Roku Streaming Stick 4K and would be more than willing to provide you with further details about it and your Sanyo TV sleep timer.

Please be informed that if you use a Roku device to access features on your Sanyo TV, the built-in sleep timer will likely not work. However, you can use the auto power-saving mode on your Roku Streaming Stick 4K, (meaning it is not streaming content or being controlled by a remote or mobile app).

It automatically enters a low-power mode and attempts to power off the TV it is connected to. While in the low power mode, your player will "wake up" when you do any one of the following:

After your player wakes up, your TV will turn on, and a moment later, the Roku home screen will appear.

For more details, please visit our Roku Support article: How to disable auto power savings on your Roku streaming player

We hope you find this information helpful.

Regards,
Riamie

Riamie D.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuRiamie-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Wanting to use a Roku Streaming 4k stick on my Sanyo TV...sleep timer question

Jump to solution

Hi @Serendipity12,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!
We appreciate your interest in using our Roku Streaming Stick 4K and would be more than willing to provide you with further details about it and your Sanyo TV sleep timer.

Please be informed that if you use a Roku device to access features on your Sanyo TV, the built-in sleep timer will likely not work. However, you can use the auto power-saving mode on your Roku Streaming Stick 4K, (meaning it is not streaming content or being controlled by a remote or mobile app).

It automatically enters a low-power mode and attempts to power off the TV it is connected to. While in the low power mode, your player will "wake up" when you do any one of the following:

After your player wakes up, your TV will turn on, and a moment later, the Roku home screen will appear.

For more details, please visit our Roku Support article: How to disable auto power savings on your Roku streaming player

We hope you find this information helpful.

Regards,
Riamie

Riamie D.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Serendipity12 

Your Sanyo TV remote will still allow you to set the Sleep Timer on your TV.  (Your TV will still go off after the specified number of minutes).

A consideration with streaming is that unless you return the Roku to the Home Screen before turning the TV off, (or use one of the Roku Settings like Bandwidth Saver or Automatic Power Savings), the Roku device will continue streaming in the background using data/bandwidth.

As such, you can enable Bandwidth Saver in the Roku Settings (this will stop streaming and using bandwidth automatically after 4hrs) or enable Automatic Power Savings (this will attempt to power down TV if no active streaming is detected for 20 min and device goes into a standby mode).

Additionally, if your Sanyo TV has a USB port, you can try using that to power your Roku device. (not all TV's can adequately supply the power needed for a streaming device, but some can).  If you find that your TV can, then whenever you power off your TV (or the Sleep Timer kicks in), that should also power down your Roku device (which will stop streaming and data use) and you don't need to worry about the additional Settings.

However, if you find that you need to use a power adapter at the wall outlet for your Roku device to operate, then you should at least enable Bandwidth Saver.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.