Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
homalgo1

New Ultra vs. 4k stick? please help me

Hello, I am looking to get a new streaming device, as my Onn 4k box does not work well with Hulu. All I really do is stream Netflix, hulu, max, YTTV, etc… so I am not sure if I need the new ultra, but it is currently on sale for $80. For my needs, do I really need the new and best device? I’m seeing a lot of reviews online saying the 4k stick is just fine.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
andyross
Roku Guru

Re: New Ultra vs. 4k stick? please help me

One issue with a stick is that you MUST use a Roku remote. Standalone boxes will work with plain IR remotes, so you can use a universal remote.

Consider the Express 4K+. It's quite fast, and NOT noticeably slower than my Ultra (I have both). The Ultra mainly gives you Ethernet and a USB port for media files.

I should mention that on a Google TV device, Hulu is limited to stereo. 5.1 on Roku.

0 Kudos
RokuReynan-L
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @homalgo1.

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Thanks for having an interest in our Roku streaming players.

In addition to our Roku Guru's post @andyross, you may also visit our Roku website to compare streaming players for their features and prices.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Reynan

Reynan L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jontalk
Roku Guru

@homalgo1Curious what you use for audio and whether you are able to use wired connection instead of WiFi..In addition the 2024 Roku Ultra offers WiFi 6 connectivity, though your router must support it. My personal preference is the Ultra since it has Ethernet/wired connectivity.

Regardless, most use WiFi and the best way to avoid buffering or connectivity issues is by installing WiFi Analyzer for Android or something similar for iPhone since the app will show you which channels are the most congested, then log into the router and select a channel that's not as popular. The Ultra remote uses WiFi direct to communicate with the player..I've never used the other devices mentioned since I have a home theater and seek the best device. Hope that helps

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
Roku Ultra 4800R; LG OLED55B7A, ONKYO TX-NR636, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds. Motorola MB8600 modem. Asus RT-AX68U WiFi 6 router. Western Digital Power Line network adapters
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.