Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kieth
Binge Watcher

Re: Starting in recovery mode

Jump to solution

Probably not 

0 Kudos
Bismarck318
Roku Guru

Re: Roku 3800x now always powers up in Recovery mode (light Purple Screen)

Jump to solution

@z-bob  Entering the Wi-Fi Password every time has to be an annoyance.  Your 2 back to back updates maybe were the update on 4/28 to 12.0.0, Build 4178, then on 5/3 to 12.0.0, Build 4181?

@NB5555  Mine started misbehaving @ 11.5.0 Build 6040, but a month after that update, otherwise it was fine right after the update on 3/18.  Something happened on 4/18, like it updated again, but still reported  it was at Build 6040. 

0 Kudos
z-bob
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Is there any way to actually report this problem to the developers?  I've been in software development; when we knew about a problem, maybe it took a while but we fixed of it.  The community forum just seems to be a place to pretend we are getting some kind of attention while insulating development from us.  "Did you turn it off and back on again?",  "Are you sure it's plugged in?", and that exhausts the whole script.

Bismarck318
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@z-bob  I'm trying to help by giving  them precise details on the what's, how's (I don't have the why's).  I work in Software/Firmware test, & engineering myself.  I would hope this information is being passed on to developers.   So far I have tried to eliminate all of the physical factors such as cables, power supplies, & such on my end.  I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, I've had "software" issues in test where it came down to swapping a CAT5 Cable with a CAT 6 cable to reduce noise. 

Bugs always don't come out right away, & part of my job is to try to replicate issues.  This will make a better product overall in the end.        

0 Kudos
z-bob
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@Bismarck318 I appreciate what you are doing.  But I doubt any of this is making it back to development; Roku probably set this forum up so the devs won't be bothered with support issues.  (It's not just Roku, lots of companies set up support forums for the users to try to help each other) however when it's a software defect there's nothing the users can do except install an older version -- and I don't think that's possible with Roku.

0 Kudos
Kieth
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

My sister knows someone who works at roku in software development and she told her about the problem I'm having they are working on a fix for this I'll probably hear something more from her tomorrow 

Kieth
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Bismarck 

They have heard about it 

0 Kudos
Bismarck318
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

An update came across early this morning to v12.0.0, Build 4184-55.  After the update completed, I did a device restart, & it still goes into the recovery mode. 

@z-bob in order to go back a rev to fix, I imagine that the unit would have to be sent back to Roku.  I imagine this is a glitch occurring with a few units rather than all across the board, I think I'm the first to report it.   BTW, you are correct, the only way to see that complete version # is while it's in recovery mode. 

@Kieth Thank you for your feedback, & please let us know what you hear back. 

0 Kudos
z-bob
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Going back to a previous rev wouldn't do any good because there's no way to turn off auto-update.

I plugged my 3800X into a power strip instead of the TV's USB and that seems to have circumvented the problem.  I'm wondering, does the Streaming Stick have a tiny button battery inside to keep it in "sleep" mode instead of powered all the way off?  How else would it listen for the remote when it's off?  What if that battery is dead?  That would explain a lot.

(what's the deal with the word L*thium not being permitted?  How could that possibly be offensive to *anybody*, worldwide?)

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @MattD5  @DCarbajal 

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community regarding the issue you are experiencing with the newest OS and providing us with your device information.

Please be aware that I passed along your concerns and details to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further. Once more information is available, I'll be sure to update this Community thread.

Your patience and understanding in the meantime is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos