Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bismarck318
Roku Guru

Roku 3800x now always powers up in Recovery mode (light Purple Screen)

Jump to solution

Model 3800x - Roko Streaming Stick

I almost always leave this stick unpowered when unattended & start power to TV & the Roku device (powered via a USB charging hub), I went to a charging hub for the convenience of easily unplugging it as it interferes with over the air TV (on the antenna) when I switch over.  This setup has been working great for well over a year. 

The Roku Stick did a software update on 3/18/23 to 11.5.0 Build 6040.

On 4/18/23 I noted it was doing another update so I let it complete, it rebooted & I watched for the evening.  I checked the system at some point that evening & found it still was last updated on 3/18/23. 

Now every time I power up my TV with Roku, I noticed it starts up then goes to a "Recovery Mode" (Light purple screen), updates from 0% to 100% then starts.  Everything appears normal until started again. Is there a fix for this or a sign the stick is going south?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku 3800x now always powers up in Recovery mode (light Purple Screen)

Jump to solution

Hi Community users,

Thanks for the posts regarding your Roku device powering into Recovery Mode on power up.

Please be aware that we believe that we have identified the issue and expect this issue to be resolved in a future update.

We appreciate your patience and understanding in the meantime.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
82 REPLIES 82
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Bismarck318,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

We understand that you are getting a purple screen on your Roku Streaming Stick. We will work with you to know what went wrong so we can assist you further and fix the issue.

Please be advised that purple screen or HDCP errors happen when there is a problem with the physical connection or communication between your Roku and TV. Often, it's a simple matter of reconnecting the HDMI cable, switching to a different HDMI cable, for Roku Streaming sticks, and connecting to an HDMI extender.

If the issue persists, please refer to the support article here for additional troubleshooting steps: What to do if you see an “HDCP Error Detected” message or a purple screen | Official Roku Support

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting from there if needed.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Bismarck318
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hi RokuMary-F

I am using a shielded HDMI extension cord (I think its about 1 m but not fully unwound) to get the Roku Stick away from the TV a bit, as it was interfering with my OTA (Over the Air) Reception.

One other item, I got an overheat warning about a month ago, powered down & never seen it since.

I'll Unplug & Plug in again the connections, & see if they are secure, Thank you.  

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Bismarck318,

Thanks for the quick response and additional information.

As you mentioned that you will try to unplug and plug in the Roku device If the issue still persists, we suggest that Roku Streaming Stick is overheating and has a purple screen, you can try installing a free HDMI extender to help move it away from the back of your TV.

If you are still having any issues with your Roku device, please provide your Roku device's serial number so we can assist further.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Bismarck318
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hi Mary,  (some additional information on the setup) 

The Stick sits on an open shelf about 2 feet below the TV, where I also have a USB charging station.   The stick always ran hot (or very very warm) from day one in operation.  Why I always preferred removing the power when it was going to be idle. 

On power up when I first turn on the power tap & when the stick goes into this recovery mode, the stick would actually be cool or at room temperature. 

Is there a proper sequence to power down?   Again, It looked like it received an update on 4/18/23 & after this is when I noted issues, it did not appear that is actually updated any software, it still shows 3/18/23

I will try the removal & reseating of connections when I get in tonight. 

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Bismarck318,

Thanks for the note.

We're sorry if you are having this issue and we can check this for you. Please help us with the below information to proceed further:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)

We look forward to hearing from you and looking closely into this issue. Thank you!

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Bismarck318
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hi @RokuMary-F

OK.......

Reseated ALL connections, same result.

Moved this over to a different TV, & did not use my shielded HDMI extension (plugged HDMI directly to this set), same result.  So this eliminated the shielded extension, connections, & TV as causes.  

What happens, 

Device powers up with Dark purple screen with dancin Roku Letters (no sound), then proceeds to the Roku Recovery Mode Screen, (this takes about 20-30 seconds), unit goes off (No signal - resets?), then restarts back to dark purple Dancing Roku screen (now with sound), then proceeds to normal operation.  

Model 3800X Roku Streaming Stick

SN: YF0041672245

Device ID: CT3824672245

Software: 11.5.0 Build 6040-55 

Edit: During the Light Purple Recovery it displays Version: 55C.50R06040A 

Right now the Recovery screen is just an annoyance, but you seem to leading that this is related to be a heat issue.   Unit always ran hot (no overheat warnings though).   Even after the overheat warning about a month ago, it still was OK after that but something happened around April 18th, when it appeared to be downloading a new Software version, I let this continue & operation was normal afterward that day.  After that it is doing what it is doing on each powerup.

Going forward...  Heat issues, would it be advisable to place this on a metal plate to absorb heat?  I imagine it has quite a heatsink within.     

Is this issue something new or something seen before? 

P4239143 - Copy.JPG

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Bismarck318

Thanks for following up. 

I have passed along your information and concern to our Support team. I'd recommend keeping an eye on your email since they'll be reaching out to you from there.

Your patience and understanding are greatly appreciated.

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I am also having the same issue. Tried all connections and have the stick moved away. I have a 3800X on version 55C.50R06040A

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Bailysmom60

Welcome to the Roku Community. 

Could you share your personal experience with us, the specifics of the issue you are seeing? What are the steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing? What troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to resolve the issue?

With more detailed information, we will be able to help you further. 

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.