Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dann024
Channel Surfer

Can I get Dolby Atmos on my old TV?

Jump to solution
Not 5.1 / Dolby Atmos in old TV

Hello, I have a question regarding 5.1 or Dolby Atmos.

I have an LG TV that supports Dolby Digital and DTS; it has one ARC port (no EARC) and three HDMI 1.4 ports.

Using the native Netflix app, I get 5.1 channels, but this app is very slow, which is why I dislike using the native. That is why I have been using Roku Premiere 4 years ago.

I know my TV and Roku doesn't supports Dolby Atmos or Dolby Digital Plus, that's why i am not getting 5.1 channels in Netflix (Roku app). I have read that the Roku Ultra 2020 (4800) or 2022 (4802) - not the Roku Ultra LT (4801) - has a built-in DD+/Atmos encoder.

If I buy this Roku Ultra model, will I get Dolby Atmos or Digital plus? 

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can I get Dolby Atmos on my old TV?

Jump to solution

I looked up your TV model, and confirmed it does support ARC. I have a hunch the TV is new enough that it should pass 5.1 audio via ARC. But because the TV doesn't support EAC-3, it won't process Atmos from an online source. I had a friend notice your issue and offers this info: 

yes the 4800/4802 will solve their problem of being able to get/send 5.1 from their apps when connected to/through their TV (it passes DD, but not DD+ from HDMI) - the 4800/4802 will convert the DD+5.1 from apps to DD5.1 for output to their TV (and from their TV via Optical/ARC to their SB/AVR).

DD+ 5.1 = No
DD+/Atmos = No
DD5.1 = Yes

They need to configure the 4800/4802 for Passthrough mode and it will still convert DD+ to DD for output.

But again, Atmos won't be possible, since it requires DD+ audio passthrough. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
atc98092

Jump to solution

The Roku Ultra supports Atmos, but you need to connect it to a sound device that also supports Atmos. Remember that online sources only provide Atmos in the Dolby Digital Plus (EAC3) codec, and while some TVs will support that, they almost always take the Atmos channel and make an artificial height channel (meaning it doesn't actually have a upwards firing speaker). If you want true Atmos audio without replacing your TV, you need to use either a Soundbar with  HDMI inputs (many soundbars only have an optical or ARC HDMI connector) or an Audio-Video Receiver (AVR). And the soundbar or AVR has to support Atmos (not all do).

A soundbar is less costly, although one that supports Atmos and has HDMI inputs will be more expensive. Based on a quick look at Best Buy, you're in the range of $500 or more for a soundbar that meets those requirements, 

An AVR requires a lot of speakers, along with a subwoofer (unless you get some good full range speakers for the front channels). Don't forget that for Atmos, you need either speakers mounted in the ceiling, or speakers pointed at the ceiling that can bounce the sound off the ceiling. So a total of seven speakers plus the subwoofer. You can find a low cost AVR with Atmos support starting around $350, but the price can climb quickly. Adding the speakers adds a lot to the cost. My main family room system uses four Radio Shack bookshelf speakers that cost me less than $50 each for the main surrounds, and a couple of discarded speakers pointed at the ceiling for the Atmos channels, but RS has been out of business for years, and I don't think you can find speakers that cheap anymore. 

For best audio quality, the AVR and speakers is the way to go. For simplicity and lowest cost, the soundbar would be the way to go. 

Dan

Dann024
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

My Poseidon D60 soundbar supports Dolby Atmos, but I am not sure if purchasing the Roku Ultra will work with my TV.

If I force the Dolby Digital Plus sound on Roku (premiere), Netflix displays the 5.1 logo but without sound.

Do you think the Roku Ultra will work for my case/situation? I don't want to waste time and money buying it if it won't work.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

I had to look up the specs of the Poseidon D60. Yes, it supports Atmos, but it doesn't have additional HDMI inputs, and can only get the audio back from the TV via eARC or optical. Since your TV doesn't have eARC, I don't think you can connect any device to the TV and get Atmos audio back to the soundbar. ARC is supposed to pass EAC3 with Atmos, but see my next comment.

The fact that you can't get 5.1 audio from a connected device back to the soundbar appears to show your TV will not pass multi-channel audio from connected devices out to the soundbar. Some older TVs are like that, only sending two channel PCM audio. They will send 5.1 audio from their internal apps (and of course broadcast TV) but not from any device connected to an HDMI port, such as your Roku. 

Since you can't get 5.1 from your Premiere, it's doubtful you can get it by switching to an Ultra. Unfortunately your TV appears to be a roadblock for that, so the only solution is a soundbar with HDMI inputs or an AVR. That's a shame, as your soundbar looks like a pretty good deal. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Dann024
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you so much for your help.

By the way, my TV model is LG-47LB650T.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

I looked up your TV model, and confirmed it does support ARC. I have a hunch the TV is new enough that it should pass 5.1 audio via ARC. But because the TV doesn't support EAC-3, it won't process Atmos from an online source. I had a friend notice your issue and offers this info: 

yes the 4800/4802 will solve their problem of being able to get/send 5.1 from their apps when connected to/through their TV (it passes DD, but not DD+ from HDMI) - the 4800/4802 will convert the DD+5.1 from apps to DD5.1 for output to their TV (and from their TV via Optical/ARC to their SB/AVR).

DD+ 5.1 = No
DD+/Atmos = No
DD5.1 = Yes

They need to configure the 4800/4802 for Passthrough mode and it will still convert DD+ to DD for output.

But again, Atmos won't be possible, since it requires DD+ audio passthrough. 

Dan

Dann024
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

All cleared up. Thank you very much.