Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Help Activation Issue

Jump to solution

Hi, 

I was given my friend’s older Roku device and I’m trying to set up my account after a factory reset. I’m at the portion where I need to activate the Roku device and it wants me to go to Roku.com/link and enter a code on the screen but the website is down and other help videos don’t have this website listed as apart of the step. This device works fine and I just would like some assistance but I can’t even call for support. All Roku keeps sending me videos that I have viewed and aren’t pertinent to my situation. Any help would be much appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Please Help Activation Issue

Jump to solution

Hello, Frank.

Thank you for posting in the Roku Community!

We appreciate your inquiry about reactivating your Roku device. We are happy to help.

The device you are using can no longer support the most recent features. This means it will no longer receive new features or streaming channels, updates to existing channels, or other software-related updates. You can keep using your Roku player to stream the channels you currently have. However, you may lose access to some channels over time as those channel partners make updates.

If the device says, "Go to roku.com/link," it has not been updated in many years and needs to be redirected.  

You enter the link code in the URL: my.roku.com/link/qr/linkCode. If that doesn't work, you'll need to upgrade your device.

As a valued customer, please check your inbox for a private message containing offers to purchase a new player at a discounted price.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please let us know.

Regards,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

That IS an old Roku device.  Roku discontinued that activation scheme several years ago because too many people entered typos when entering the web address and reached scammers with bogus "Roku" sites.  Roku.com/link is no longer functional. Now you give them your email address and they send you an activation link.

Paging Roku employees @RokuAustin, @RokuERey, @RokuMaryEF, and any other moderators in case Roku support has some other method of activating old models. 

But I'd expect a model of that vintage, if it can be activated, has fallen behind the technology curve far enough it may not be receiving further updates, will be slow and non-responsive compared to current offerings, and may not be compatible with some of today's popular channels that rely on functions and capabilities added in later models.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello, Frank.

Thank you for posting in the Roku Community!

We appreciate your inquiry about reactivating your Roku device. We are happy to help.

The device you are using can no longer support the most recent features. This means it will no longer receive new features or streaming channels, updates to existing channels, or other software-related updates. You can keep using your Roku player to stream the channels you currently have. However, you may lose access to some channels over time as those channel partners make updates.

If the device says, "Go to roku.com/link," it has not been updated in many years and needs to be redirected.  

You enter the link code in the URL: my.roku.com/link/qr/linkCode. If that doesn't work, you'll need to upgrade your device.

As a valued customer, please check your inbox for a private message containing offers to purchase a new player at a discounted price.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please let us know.

Regards,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.