Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DB201
Channel Surfer

Not receiving activation email

Jump to solution

Have tried resetting existing device and purchased a new one; neither are sending the activation email.  Unable to link to my account and activate.  My 2 other Rokus are working fine.  Update:  I just received the email from this post so I know my email account receives emails from Roku!  

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DB201
Channel Surfer

Re: Not receiving activation email.

Jump to solution

That worked!!!   Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!  I'm so glad YOU responded to my query!!!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi! @DB201,

Thank you for reaching out to the Roku Community!

If you are not receiving the email to activate your Roku device during setup, we recommend checking out the troubleshooting steps provided by our Support page here: 'How to activate or link your Roku® streaming device.

If you still encounter issues after following the steps in our Support article, some other things to try are as follows:

• Try a different network, such as a mobile hotspot.
  • If you use a web-based email, try checking for the Roku email using a different browser or in incognito or private mode.

Please keep us posted on what you find out, and we will be more than happy to continue assisting you further. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,

Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
DB201
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I just checked my email on another browser and it is not there, I do not have a mobile hot spot.  I'm not sure what those suggestions mean so I am unable to do them.  I am a senior and live in a rural area and have the most predominant ISP, a laptop and no cell phone.  I would like to receive the activation email the same way I have the last 5 times I have set up a Roku device for streaming on my television - an email that can come through Microsoft Edge, please.  

0 Kudos
DB201
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

So, is Roku not receiving my request for activation or are they receiving it and not sending the activation email or are they sending the email but am I just not able to view it??  I don't have another avenue to the internet outside of my web-based internet connection.  Is this something that Roku is working on?? 

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Do you have a neighbor handy? You can probably do the QR code trick on someone else’s phone – as long as you log in to YOUR Roku account on their phone, not theirs!  Even if you don’t, you might try the QR option – I’ve never looked at Roku’s but sometimes QR codes display along with a readable URL that you could CAREFULLY type in to your laptop browser.

Banned but back. Because why not?
DB201
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you, there is no readable URL on the QR code.  What I'm not understanding is why the activation email is not coming through my email on my laptop.  The Roku advertising emails are coming through just fine, a couple every day.    

0 Kudos
DB201
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

You have all been very helpful, however, I am unable to perform the suggested remedies.  I'm sure I'm not alone in this.  Here's what the box for the Roku device I purchased indicates I will need:

- Broadband internet

- Wireless or wired router

- TV with HDMI port (HDCP 2.2 for 4K)

I have those things and all are current and supported technology.  I have 2 other working Roku devices in my home so this activation email change has come about since August 2022.  What is blocking this email??

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I don’t know how Roku does the activation, but wonder if it’s as simple as opening a SMTP connection and mailing directly from the new Roku?  If so, some ISPs block some of the common SMTP ports and sometimes home IP addresses get on (spam) block lists.  (Which is why lots of people suggest a phone hotspot, which gives you both a different ISP with different policies and a different IP address for block lists.)

Here’s another possibility – Windows can scan QR codes too!

https://www.makeuseof.com/windows-scan-qr-code/

Banned but back. Because why not?
DB201
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

That worked!!!   Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!  I'm so glad YOU responded to my query!!!

0 Kudos