Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LindaKL
Reel Rookie

Re: How do I switch between my cable TV and Roku device?

Jump to solution

I have an Insignia Roku TV and Dish. The Roku remote that came with the TV is too "old" to get some of the newer apps like Apple TV+. So I went out and got Roku Express.

The Insignia Roku device has volume and on/off controls which the Roku Express does not have. Also, on the Insignia Roku remote, the Home button takes me back to the screen with all the channel apps AND the HDMI thumbnails for the TV so from the remote I can get back to the TV.

However, the Roku Express home button only shows the thumbnails for the streaming apps and does not show the HDMI or Cable Box thumbnails. So do really I have to keep 3 remotes - the Roku Express, the Insignia Remote and my Dish remote, or is there another solution?  

Help!!!

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@LindaKL wrote:

I have an Insignia Roku TV and Dish. The Roku remote that came with the TV is too "old" to get some of the newer apps like Apple TV+. So I went out and got Roku Express.

The Insignia Roku device has volume and on/off controls which the Roku Express does not have. Also, on the Insignia Roku remote, the Home button takes me back to the screen with all the channel apps AND the HDMI thumbnails for the TV so from the remote I can get back to the TV.

However, the Roku Express home button only shows the thumbnails for the streaming apps and does not show the HDMI or Cable Box thumbnails. So do really I have to keep 3 remotes - the Roku Express, the Insignia Remote and my Dish remote, or is there another solution?  

Help!!!

In short, yes. The TV remote is still necessary to control the TV power and volume. The Express remote is not capable of controlling those functions, because as you mention its remote doesn't have those buttons. So even with CEC functionality, there's no buttons for that control. And the Dish remote is of course required to control the satellite receiver. However, way back when I used to have Dish their remotes could also control a TV, specifically the power and volume. So it might be possible to program the Dish remote to control at least the TV volume. That gets you down to two remotes at least. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
LindaKL
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Dan, I know that. I certainly can control volume from the Dish remote, but how do I get back to Dish from the Roku Express without using the TVs original Insignia Roku Remote whose home button lists the channels AND the TVs HDMI thumbnails? Otherwise I have to use the TVs remote to get back to the dish. Am I making sense? That's still 3 remotes. This is a really annoying dilemma. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@LindaKL wrote:

Dan, I know that. I certainly can control volume from the Dish remote, but how do I get back to Dish from the Roku Express without using the TVs original Insignia Roku Remote whose home button lists the channels AND the TVs HDMI thumbnails? Otherwise I have to use the TVs remote to get back to the dish. Am I making sense? That's still 3 remotes. This is a really annoying dilemma. 

Yes, you're making sense. If the Dish remote has a button to change the TV input, then you can stick with two. But if it can only control the power and volume, you're stuck with three...

And that has been a dilemma for ages with consumer electronics. I can remember having a remote for my AVR, TV, DVD player, CD player and laserdisc player. And then if you had a Nintendo or other game console, more remotes. 

There are mega-remotes that can be programmed to do almost anything with a single remote. Logitech has an entire Harmony line of remotes that might be able to do everything for you. But you are getting into $100 or more for just a remote and possibly a control hub. 

Dan

0 Kudos
LindaKL
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Dan, I appreciate your answer AND I hate it!!! That said, I will only therefore only use the Roku Express so I can watch Apple TV+ since I can't get that on my Insignia at this time. Yuck!

Thank you for your help anyway!

Linda  

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

I can suggest a universal remote that works great with Roku, Roku tv, and cable boxes. Its the Inteset 422-3:

https://www.amazon.com/Inteset-Universal-Backlit-Learning-Streamers/dp/B00M4I1BAY/ref=sxts_sxwds-bia...

You only use the Insignia home screen to get to the inputs, but use the express for the everyday streaming because it gets the newer channels. You can setup the insignia when powered on to go straight to the express input and its home screen. The Inteset has Roku tv input key that puts up input menu with all hdmi inputs listed, each time you press the input key it scrolls down one input a time and you get to the input you want just lift your finger off the key and in moment the roku tv changes to the input. The inteset remote can even give access to discrete commands where you just press a single key it will switch right to that input without the use of input menu or need of the insignia home page. The discrete command is a tv command but can be mapped to the express device on the inteset universal remote. Same for the cable box, have a discrete in the cable device that goes straight to the cable input. If you have this remote I can give the exact directions to program it. They look like this:

1. "A" labelled device(TV)

2. press and hold SET for two blinks, release

3. enter 1 4 3 9 8 (tv setup code for Insignia Roku tv's)

1. "B" Express Roku device

3. enter 0 3 0 6 1 ( Roku setup code)

1. "C" Cable device key

3. enter  0 1 8 7 7 (comcast cable setup code)

To map the discrete code for hdmi 1, just guessing its the hdmi you're using for the cable box:

1. A

3. enter 9 9 4

4. tap SET for one blink

5. enter 0 0 2 3 8

6. press C device key

7. pick a key (it now has the discrete command for HDMI1 mapped to it.

1. A device

3. enter 9 9 4

4. tap SET for one blink

5. enter 0 0 2 4 0(discrete hdmi2 command)

6. press B device 

7. pick a key

There are many discrete commands for apps available, like disney+ 00070

Edmund

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
C_I
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@sluggo5112 wrote:

Thanks Makai Guy. I'll give this a try. Cable is in HDMI 1 so I'll put the Roku in HDMI 2. I know I can move between HDMI 1 and 2 on the remote. Sadly, I'll have to disconnect my home entertainment unit that enhances the sound of the TV (currently in HDMI 2 - there is no third one), but life is full of decisions.

The other thing is- there is an AV cable that either came with your device or can be ordered on the Roku website. Just hook that with the whites being hooked up to the whites and the reds being hooked up to the reds on the AV ports on your TV. Then that's hooked up to AV port on the back of your Roku device.  Just make sure the AV cable is compatible with your device before ordering it. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@C_I wrote:

@sluggo5112 wrote:

Thanks Makai Guy. I'll give this a try. Cable is in HDMI 1 so I'll put the Roku in HDMI 2. I know I can move between HDMI 1 and 2 on the remote. Sadly, I'll have to disconnect my home entertainment unit that enhances the sound of the TV (currently in HDMI 2 - there is no third one), but life is full of decisions.

The other thing is- there is an AV cable that either came with your device or can be ordered on the Roku website. Just hook that with the whites being hooked up to the whites and the reds being hooked up to the reds on the AV ports on your TV. Then that's hooked up to AV port on the back of your Roku device.  Just make sure the AV cable is compatible with your device before ordering it. 

He has the Ultra. That does not have nor support analog outputs. Besides, using analog means SD picture and 2 channel audio. 

Dan

0 Kudos
C_I
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@LindaKL wrote:

The newer version of the Roku remote can turn your TV on or off. And in 9.3, one of the shortcuts that were just added was TV off, so you don't have to use your TV remote to turn the TV off. But to switch back and forth to your Dish, you must use your TV remote, go to input and select the HDMI port that you have your Roku device connected to. Then to watch Dish, back to your TV remote and toggle to the HDMI port you have your Dish connected to. Your Dish remote has nothing to do with it. It's just your TV remote. Some TV's call it settings and you may need to toggle to your video settings and HDMI. Maybe the HDMI thumbnails have the HDMI inputs to your TV and your Roku device? And if you have a Roku TV, look in settings for how to switch back and forth. 

0 Kudos
georgedanz

Jump to solution

I have Roku installed but now cannot use my TV remote to get to the Cable, HDMI selection.  How do I change that?

0 Kudos