Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
so_transplant
Reel Rookie

Chart for compatible streaming channels

Jump to solution

I need to replace Roku units damaged when lightning struck my house. Is there a chart by model and corresponding streaming channels supported? It is frustrating trying to decode which models work for my favorite streaming services because there is no consistency. I've been assuming that any model currently available with a "4" in it may not be supported by all streaming channels. Roku 4 seems to be widely unsupported now and some 4k models are omitted from compatible details. Help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Chart for compatible streaming channels

Jump to solution

@so_transplant 

All of the streaming players listed on the Roku website at https://www.roku.com/products/players will support any/all channels available in the Roku Channel Store.

You can also purchase all the ones listed above at different retailers (Best buy, Walmart, Target, etc).  Just purchase one of the newest Roku devices according to your budget and needs.  Any Roku device with "4k" listed in the model name will allow you "up to 4k resolution" on a 4k TV.  Otherwise you will receive up to 1080p resolution when using a 4k device on a non-4k TV. (basically, the 4k means maximum resolution).  

If you are planning on buying from Amazon or Ebay, just carefully look at the model numbers and compare them with the ones listed under the device on the Roku player link above.  Roku uses the same names for their devices for different generations of the same device, but the hardware and capabilities can, and usually are, different in each generation.

-----

You can also see the hardware differences/capabilities of each generation at  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku.  The only model still missing from the wiki is the newer Roku Express HD 3960 model which is dual-band.  (any other model of the Roku Express HD/non-4k will be single band 2.4ghz only).  

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
edroksense
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@so_transplant 

There is no such chart as compatibility is considered. The roku ultra is good but it must be matched with 4khd  tv and speed of your internet is to be considered when buying this. Your budget is a great factor to select the new roku device ( player/streamer ) or  just buy the tv that has roku apps built in.

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I’ve never run into a channel not running on a recent/current model Roku. (Not that that couldn’t happen, but I’ve never seen it myself.)

Don’t confuse 4K with 4.  4K is a current television format, whereas 4 is just a model number, such as the Roku 4 that came out in 2015 or the Pentium 4 that came out in 2000.  Neither of these 4s would be what someone would go shopping for today. 

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@so_transplant 

All of the streaming players listed on the Roku website at https://www.roku.com/products/players will support any/all channels available in the Roku Channel Store.

You can also purchase all the ones listed above at different retailers (Best buy, Walmart, Target, etc).  Just purchase one of the newest Roku devices according to your budget and needs.  Any Roku device with "4k" listed in the model name will allow you "up to 4k resolution" on a 4k TV.  Otherwise you will receive up to 1080p resolution when using a 4k device on a non-4k TV. (basically, the 4k means maximum resolution).  

If you are planning on buying from Amazon or Ebay, just carefully look at the model numbers and compare them with the ones listed under the device on the Roku player link above.  Roku uses the same names for their devices for different generations of the same device, but the hardware and capabilities can, and usually are, different in each generation.

-----

You can also see the hardware differences/capabilities of each generation at  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku.  The only model still missing from the wiki is the newer Roku Express HD 3960 model which is dual-band.  (any other model of the Roku Express HD/non-4k will be single band 2.4ghz only).  

atc98092

Jump to solution

@so_transplant the only Roku with a "4" in the model name is the Roku 4, model 4400, and it's very unlikely you will find one of them in a box. That model is now 8 years old and Roku no longer supports it. Any other model with a "4" in the name is only going to be referencing 4K support, such as the Roku Stick 4K+ or Express 4K+. Either of those devices will work with any channel Roku offers in the channel store. In fact, I have both of these and they are quite good players. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
so_transplant
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks for the link. I forgot about checking Wikipedia. I have 9 units and many different models. I don't want to throw away any usable ones but I also don't want to spend a lot of time deciphering it though. Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@so_transplant 

You can also look at Roku's developer page.  This will show you the Current models, the Updateable models, and the Legacy models of Roku devices.

https://developer.roku.com/en-ca/docs/specs/hardware.md#legacy-models

Anything in the Legacy list has essentially received the last update it is capable of and will receive no more.  These may still work depending on what you watch,  but will receive no Roku OS updates. (which also means no channel updates either).

The Updateable and Current models are still receiving Roku OS updates (as well as channel updates).  Of course, the older the device is on the Updateable list, the closer it is getting to being added to the Legacy list.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.