Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
May1234

Broken wire, what do I do

The wire that connects the Roku to my tv to the USB is broken. What do I do? Buy a whole new Roku?

image.jpg

image.jpg

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Broken wire, what do I do

@May1234 

This is one of the reasons I do not like the Streaming Stick models.

That broken cable is the proprietary Long Range Wireless Receiver (LRWR).  You can purchase another one of those cables from Roku for about $20.

https://www.roku.com/products/accessories

(USB Power Cable with Long-range Wi-Fi® Receiver)

Just need to make sure you get the right one for your model. (there is a different cable for the 3810 and 3820 models).

---

If you are going to stay with the Streaming Stick, you may want to buy an extender cable (or get a short, free one from Roku) that will allow you to plug the cable into your HDMI port rather than the Stick so that cable isn't oriented in the manner in the pictures. (the weight of the receiver is tweaking that top mounted connection). https://my.roku.com/hdmi

If you go with a new set-top Roku device rather than the stick model, the micro-usb power cables can be found at any store for a few dollars as opposed to having to buy this LRWR cable directly from Roku. 

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

andyross
Roku Guru

It's a standard USB cable. Just get or even find one in your junk drawer with the same connectors on both ends. Odds are, it's standard USB-A on the one end (where you plug into the power supply), and micro-USB on the Roku end.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@andyross 

The pictures are from a Streaming Stick.  Cannot just use a standard USB cable to replace the LRWR cable.  The wifi module (network connection and remote usage) are built into the cable. (that long oblong piece).

You could possibly cut the micro-usb connector off on the Stick end of cable and do some splicing of new micro-usb connector from a spare cellphone charging cable, but that is about it. (not sure though how many wires are in the upper portion of that cable).

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
makaiguy

@May1234-

[Edit: paragraph reworded for clarity] That looks a USB Mini connector at the end of the cable that plugs into the Roku.  That would make this the Long Range WiFi receiver cable for Roku Streaming Stick 3810/3811.  The Roku Accessories page no longer lists this cable at all.

The Long Range WiFi receiver cable for the Roku Stick 3820/3821 IS shown on that page but has a USB Micro instead of Mini connector.  It is not compatible with your 3810/3811 even if you were to hook it up with a USB Micro-To-Mini adapter.

Paging Roku employees @RokuAustin, @RokuERey, @RokuMaryEF, and any other moderators.  Is there anything you guys can do to help @May1234 ?

Editing to add...

If they can get you back in business, I'd suggest using the extender cable mentioned earlier.  More explicitly, this is an HDMI extension cable (male HDMI plug at one end and female HDMI socket at other end) which will allow to reposition the Roku stick so the Long Range WiFi cable doesn't have to make that immediate sharp bend that caused the connector to fail.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
RokuEmmanuel-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for flagging this here in the Roku Community, @May1234.

We understand that the cable of your Roku Streaming Stick has been damaged. No worries, help is here. 

We just sent you a direct message to your inbox for further assistance. Could you please provide more details about your concern? We'll take it from there and make sure to help you out!

We are anticipating your prompt response.

Warm regards,
Emman

Emmanuel-D.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

Little curious if it's required for WiFi, or if it just adds more range? According to Wikipedia, the 3810 is from 2019. I would think that would be MicroUSB.

0 Kudos
makaiguy

@andyross-

Yes.  Starting with Streaming Stick 3810 the WiFi radio was relocated from within the stick itself to a pod in the USB cable. The appropriate Long Range WiFi cable is essential for use of Streaming Sticks 3810 and up for connecting to the home network and for communication with the remote.

I presume the somewhat outdated USB Mini connection to the 3810/3811 was used to discourage use of a plain USB cable that has no WiFi radio pod.

Likewise the USB Micro connection for the 3820/3821 prevents connecting the incompatible 3810/3811 cord and, now that USB C cables are in common use, still somewhat discourages the use of a plain USB cable.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
andyross
Roku Guru

To add for the original poster, or anyone who's cable faces UP: If you do get a new cable, also get some stick-on hook or loop you can put above the Roku. Run the cable up and over that hook so that there is no side-force on the cable.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.